Feedback on Direct Restore to Azure

Direct Restore to Microsoft Azure | Free, secure file copy for Microsoft Azure VMs

Feedback on Direct Restore to Azure

Veeam Logoby jefutte » Mon Jan 09, 2017 11:10 am

Hi,

I'm new to Veeam, but already love it. I started testing the restore to Azure option this weekend, and found a few things that could be better. Don't get me wrong, I love the feature! :-) I'm an Azure guy to the bones, so that's my point of view ;-)

1. When creating a new Azure Proxy, a Public IP with NSG is assigned. Port 3389 and 6181 is open for "any". The user should be warned about this, or preferably have the option to lock down the NSG to specific IPs during deployment. Since the VM is only online during restore it's not that critical, but still something the user should be informed about. I saw in another post that we can manually create the Proxy VM, will test that too! :-)
2. The use of Public IPs on Azure Proxy is easy and works in most cases. Using existing VPN connections would be a nice addition though.
3. Restoring a VM is easy - but like the Proxy VM, it get's a Public IP and NSG, with port 3389 open for "any". That's not a good design, and could easily lead to VMs being exposed publicly. Public IPs should in my opinion be optional, and rather an opt-in option, than having them assigned by accident. The NSG should again be locked down from deployment.
4. There are a lot of options when restoring the VM - an extra "nice to have" would be Availability Set support, since we can't move VMs to Availability Set without redeploying them.

Am I totally off on these points?
jefutte
Novice

Liked: never
Full Name: Jesper Jensen

Re: Feedback on Direct Restore to Azure

Veeam Logoby Mike Resseler » Mon Jan 09, 2017 12:30 pm

Jesper,

Pretty good idea's you have there, and they certainly will be discussed. The idea behind Direct Restore to Azure is that you can do this in case of a disaster. In case you don't have resources available anymore... In other words... Very bad situation. At that point in time, all you want as an IT administrator is too quickly recover, get an RDP session to your recovered server and get it going. In most cases, from what we hear, these settings are necessary as they are not running much yet in Azure, besides some test machines, and occasionally 1 or 2 production machines.

But we understand your concerns, and certainly will take them to the table. Before we do that, allow me to ask you a few questions:

* If you would be able to pre-stage those settings first (how you do it through UI or PS or JSON template is not that important) and you can select that pre-staged environment to deploy your recovered server / proxy to, would that be enough?
Mike Resseler
Veeam Software

Liked: 362 times
Location: Belgium, the land of the fries, the beer, the chocolate and the diamonds...
Full Name: Mike Resseler

Veeam Logoby v.Eremin » Mon Jan 09, 2017 4:50 pm

I'm also wondering whether an ability to select a NSG during both creation of Azure proxy and restoring VM to Azure will answer most of your requirements or not. Thanks.
v.Eremin
Veeam Software

Liked: 973 times
Full Name: Vladimir Eremin

Veeam Logoby jefutte » Wed Jan 11, 2017 3:21 pm

Hi both, and thanks for the replies!

The ability to define NSG during creation of Azure proxy, and VM restore, would be great. Pre-staging the settings before a restore would also be a great addition.

Mike - I get your view that it's mostly for disaster scenarios and getting up'n'running quick is most important. I'd like to take it a bit further, and maybe use it for offline migration scenarios. For people who are used to Veeam, it would probably be an easier (& cheaper) way to migrate, than using other tools they don't know.
jefutte
Novice

Veeam Logoby jefutte » Sat Jan 21, 2017 12:00 am

Oh, another "nice-to-have" thing: Would be great if we can define names of NICs too - maybe pre-stage this too. I have naming policies in Azure where I need to allow another naming convention to restore :-)

I know this is the small things, and probably not something a lot would care about, or even notice.
jefutte
Novice

Veeam Logoby v.Eremin » Mon Jan 23, 2017 11:58 am

Giving user ability to set NSG group during Azure proxy and VM restoration sounds like a good idea, indeed. Other minor requests might be covered with us providing pre-/post-restoration commands, using which one can modify restored VM however he likes.

Definitely something for us to think about. We do appreciate your feedback, keep it coming.

Thanks.
v.Eremin
Veeam Software

Liked: 973 times
Full Name: Vladimir Eremin

Return to Veeam Tools for Microsoft Azure