Simplify and orchestrate VPN networking and configuration tasks.
GaryP
Lurker
Liked: never
Full Name: Gary Pigott

Full tunnel networking

Post by GaryP »

Can you configure a site to site connection to route all internet traffic, and not just the IPs on the other side, through the VPN tunnel? I see the config option when you configure a client VPN, but the same option isn't in the config for site to site VPNs. I have a 3 node VPN network, with 2 sites connected to a VeeamPN hub in a public cloud. I'd like all traffic, and not just the traffic destined for the other site, to exit at the hub.

HannesK
Veeam Software
Liked: 885 times

Re: Full tunnel networking

Post by HannesK »

Hello,
and welcome to the forums.

As with any site-to-site VPN (vendor is irrelevant), it just depends what you configure on the router of the site. If you tell the router on the hub site to use as default next hop an IP address at the central site, then all traffic will go over VPN.

So the answer to your question is "yes" :-)

It has nothing to do with VeeamPN. Whether it's VeeamPN, MPLS, any VPN vendor... it's a router configuration setting.

Best regards,
Hannes

GaryP
Lurker
Liked: never
Full Name: Gary Pigott

Post by GaryP »

Hi Hannes,

Thanks for the reply. The Veeam PN appliance, configured as a site gateway, would be the "router" in the scenario, right? If I configure the hub site's private IP to be the next hop on the default route then the appliance won't be able to set up the VPN connection in the first place. If I change it once the VPN comes up, it'll drop straight away.

Gary

HannesK
Veeam Software
Liked: 885 times

Post by HannesK »

Hello,
The Veeam PN appliance, configured as a site gateway, would be the "router" in the scenario, right?
I don't know such details about your environment. At least I would never do such a setup.

With good Linux knowledge it might be possible to configure VeeamPN as gateway, but I don't believe, that this is possible to explain via forum.

I suggest to involve a partner that has networking knowledge. They would probably come up with their preferred firewall vendor (and I would also do that for the scenario I read).

Best regards,
Hannes