Headstart restore feature request

Direct Restore to Microsoft Azure | Free, secure file copy for Microsoft Azure VMs

Headstart restore feature request

Veeam Logoby kennyb » Mon May 01, 2017 10:18 pm

The Restore to Azure VM feature is great! But it could be better :) with the addition of an enhancement that I'll call "Headstart restore" (stealing from a similar feature in StorageCraft). This would be a recurring job that keeps VHDs in Azure in sync with the latest incremental backups. Then when we need complete the restore, it would simply do one more check for new incremental backups to inject into the VHD and then it would launch the VM. This could greatly reduce the time it takes to recover in Azure because most if not all of the bits are already laid down. With this feature we could potentially eliminate the need for Azure Site Recovery (or Zerto) and have one integrated backup/DR solution that meets a 1 hour RTO.

Along with that, let us pre-stage settings like Network Security Groups (many would say it's not a good security practice to assume RDP/3389 should open).
kennyb
Service Provider

Liked: never
Full Name: Ken Barhite

Re: Headstart restore feature request

Veeam Logoby v.Eremin » Thu May 04, 2017 1:09 pm

1. Sounds more like a replication to me. Our Hyper-V replication used to have similar mechanism - the latest point was a fully functional VM, previous restore points were kept in form of reversed incremental backups.
2. This requirement has been tracked already.
v.Eremin
Veeam Software

Liked: 1006 times
Full Name: Vladimir Eremin

Veeam Logoby kennyb » Fri May 05, 2017 9:24 pm

Hi, what I'm suggesting not quite the same as Replication - although I think it would be great to also have Azure as a replication target. Many of our clients are in rural areas with limited bandwidth. I want to get backups copied offsite but often won't have enough bandwidth to do both replication of VMs and copy backups to Azure. The advantage to what I'm suggesting is that you're only sending the bits to Azure once, not twice. We work with other backup solutions that provide backup and DR using this concept (StorageCraft, Datto, Continuum, etc.). They just don't use Azure as the destination which is unfortunate and why we're jumping into Veeam.
kennyb
Service Provider

Liked: never
Full Name: Ken Barhite

Veeam Logoby v.Eremin » Mon May 08, 2017 1:41 pm 1 person likes this post

As soon as we have a replication to Azure, your scenario will be automatically covered, because we already can replicate VMs, using either production host or backup as the data source. So the second option (replication from backup) will come quite handy - tenants with limited bandwidth will send data to Azure only once.

Thanks.
v.Eremin
Veeam Software

Liked: 1006 times
Full Name: Vladimir Eremin

Return to Veeam Tools for Microsoft Azure