Simplify and orchestrate VPN networking and configuration tasks.
Technigogo
Novice
Liked: never
Full Name: Technigogo Technology Services

Inactivity timeout (--ping-restart), restarting

Post by Technigogo »

I am getting this issue with one of my users. They are a standalone computer. They can connect but after between 25 seconds and 90 seconds, it will disconnect and reconnect with the log entry of: [EndpointOVPN] Inactivity timeout (--ping-restart), restarting

I have UDP and TCP ports 6179 opened on the SonicWall and made sure the server can be pinged. I don't think I see the same behavior on other users.

I have uninstalled and reinstalled the OpenVPN 64 bit client on his computer. The backup connection of NetExtender works fine and is not disconnecting when he switches to that.

I have not make any changes to the default keepalive settings yet.

Thank you.

Technigogo
Novice

Re: Inactivity timeout (--ping-restart), restarting

Post by Technigogo »

I have fixed the problem.

I don't know what went wrong with this particular client when we created it but I deleted the client, recreated it, deleted the ovpn config on the client computer and imported the new one and it now works fine.

Technigogo
Novice

Post by Technigogo »

I think another clue might have been that the client showed connected in the Veeam PN portal Overview tab but they were not actually connected. Now, after the steps I took above, they only show when connected (of course the the "Hide inactive" selected).

Technigogo
Novice

Post by Technigogo »

More info... I figured out that a coworker had installed the same profile on the user's "other" computer at another location. I am now pretty sure that one was still connected and when he tried to connect with this laptop, there were two connections using the same ovpn (and the certificate) at the same time. I know that is not allowed on OpenVPN so, mystery solved. I hope this helps someone else.