Issue deploying an Azure Proxy using B&R 9.5

Direct Restore to Microsoft Azure | Free, secure file copy for Microsoft Azure VMs

Issue deploying an Azure Proxy using B&R 9.5

Veeam Logoby rskinner » Tue Nov 22, 2016 2:02 pm 2 people like this post

Case ID: 01980414

I'm trying to deploy an Azure Proxy in B&R 9.5 in order to improve the performance when restoring to Azure. Restoring to Azure without the proxy works fine, it's just I'm looking for any opportunity to make it faster.

We connect to Azure from our on-premises environment via a site-to-site VPN and the subnet that contains our VMs and where I want to place the Azure Proxy does not have direct access to the internet. We have custom routes within Azure that direct all internet traffic through a pair of NG firewalls in order to provide improved logging and easier management of firewall rules than what can be achieved using Network Security Groups. VMs in this subnet don't have public IPs as the custom routes stop them working. All inbound and outbound internet traffic to the subnet flows through the public IP assigned to the NG firewall pair.

The problem is that when deploying the Azure Proxy the VM appears to be created sucessfully, but then Veeam attempts to contact the VM on its public IP in order to install the transport components, which due to our custom routes, fails. What would be ideal is if you could deploy the Azure Proxy and configure Veeam to contact it via a private IP rather than a public IP. That way we could still get the Azure Proxy dedupe and compression benefits when restoring to Azure via the site-to-site VPN.
rskinner
Influencer

Liked: 10 times
Full Name: Richard Skinner

Re: Issue deploying an Azure Proxy using B&R 9.5

Veeam Logoby v.Eremin » Wed Nov 23, 2016 11:21 am

Your request sounds valid and it certainly will be given an additional thought in one of the next product releases.

For now you can avoid Azure Proxy wizard, what you can do instead is to:

- Deploy a Windows-based machine (or use existing one instead) in your Azure Network that is connected to your local network
- Add it as a Windows server to a backup console
- Chose it in Direct Restore to MS Azure wizard on this step

Also, you seem to have quite decent connection to Azure DC, so, may we ask your to compare performance with and without restore proxy and share resulting data with us? This would be highly appreciated.

Thanks.
v.Eremin
Veeam Software

Liked: 1020 times
Full Name: Vladimir Eremin

Veeam Logoby rskinner » Mon Dec 05, 2016 11:20 am

I followed your steps above and the data transfer did go over the VPN, but we still had to add some firewall rules to allow the job to complete fully. I can't say there was much of a performance improvement, but the VM was just a basic Windows install, so maybe there wasn't much scope for dedupe and compression. Is there anywhere to see stats on dedupe and compression for a restore?

Thanks
rskinner
Influencer

Liked: 10 times
Full Name: Richard Skinner

Veeam Logoby gavrun » Fri Mar 31, 2017 5:28 pm

I bumped into the same issue deploying Azure proxy appliance recently. Case #02114602

The partner side network has point to point connectivity to Microsoft side. It seems that Azure Proxy Wizard deployed in a such network can't utilize ExpressRoute connectivity model.
That would be beneficial, if we could configure a private IP range for a proxy appliance at one of the wizard steps.

Please, refer to the following:
https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/azure/ ... troduction
gavrun
Veeam Software

Liked: never
Full Name: Alexey Gavrunov

Veeam Logoby v.Eremin » Mon Apr 03, 2017 1:15 pm

As mentioned above, for now you can bypass Azure wizard and use "Add MS Windows Server" one instead.

After that, you would be able to select this server as a Proxy VM in DR2MA wizard. In this case, ExpressRoute connectivity model should be leveraged during restoration process.

Thanks.
v.Eremin
Veeam Software

Liked: 1020 times
Full Name: Vladimir Eremin

Return to Veeam Tools for Microsoft Azure