Simplify and orchestrate VPN networking and configuration tasks.
niteryder
Lurker
Liked: never
Full Name: Nite

Not using internal DNS

Post by niteryder »

I setup VeeamPN on our internal cooperate network and have it configured to work through our firewall. It works great accept it is only using external DNS servers to resolve names. Using IPs works fine. I need it to use our internal DNS servers so staff can use different name based services from home. Anyone have any ideas on this?

It is setup as a Hub server and we are using it as point-to-site. Also, in the web interface, under settings and DNS, nothing shows up.

Case 04103872.

AVasilyev
Veeam Software
Liked: 14 times

Re: Not using internal DNS

Post by AVasilyev »

VeeamPN supports DNS redirects to all of the sites added to the config. It runs dnsmasq service and configures it by modifying /etc/veeamn/dns/ configurations files.
When VeeamPN central (HUB) server is installed on-prem to accept endpoint connections it should push an option to all endpoints to add VeeamPN as DNS server. If your clients are Windows please run command ifconfig /all and check if there is DNS server IP address on Tap Windows adapter (OpenVPN)

Please make sure that you added a special type client "HUB site" to include all IP forwarding and DNS resolutions in local site.
To configure DNS VeeamPN collects DNS suffix and DNS server IP address from local network configuration and adds them to dsmasq config files (also shows it in the Settings/DNS menu)

Also it is worth to mention that you can un-check (I almost certain you checked) option to "use HUb as default gateway" if you added "HUB site" client. Thus your endpoint clients will use VeemPN connection only for accessing your internal resources and the rest internet - over usual ISPs connections.

niteryder
Lurker
Liked: never
Full Name: Nite

Re: Not using internal DNS

Post by niteryder »

Fixed it by editing /etc/veeampn/EndpointOVPN.cfg

For pushing DNS settings you can for example add following lines in config files:
push "dhcp-option DNS 1.2.4.3"
push "dhcp-option DOMAIN example.lan"