Offsite Backups to Azure - Which method?

Direct Restore to Microsoft Azure | Free, secure file copy for Microsoft Azure VMs

Offsite Backups to Azure - Which method?

Veeam Logoby Line_Rider » Thu Feb 15, 2018 7:48 pm

I'm researching what method I should implement for getting backup copies offsite to Azure.
No intention of restoring to Azure, this is only to have offsite recent backups that I can pull back after on-prem infrastructure is restored.

There's the Cloud Connect for Enterprise or the VeeamPN and I'm a bit unsure which direction to go with.

VeeamPN, I would do a point to site VPN connection between my on prem Veeam server and then I still create an additional VM in the subnet behind the VeeamPN appliance and configure as a repository correct? This method seems more aligned for doing restores into Azure.

Cloud Connect does seem a little more direct, deploy that as a resource in Azure, connect to it with on my prem console and create a backup copy job to Azure that I could pull from to restore on prem if needed.
Line_Rider
Influencer

Liked: 3 times
Full Name: Jon

Re: Offsite Backups to Azure - Which method?

Veeam Logoby v.Eremin » Fri Feb 16, 2018 2:10 pm

VeeamPN, I would do a point to site VPN connection between my on prem Veeam server and then I still create an additional VM in the subnet behind the VeeamPN appliance and configure as a repository correct?

This is the best method for your scenario. Azure-based repository and backup copy job pointed to it. Thanks.
v.Eremin
Veeam Software

Liked: 1066 times
Full Name: Vladimir Eremin

Veeam Logoby Line_Rider » Fri Feb 16, 2018 4:44 pm

After I had posted this I started working on setting up a test between my laptop and the VeeamPN appliance in Azure. I put another VM in that same virtual network (which would be the repo) and was successfully RDP to that test vm using it's internal IP address over the point to site vpn tunnel :)

This is perfect, thank you!
Line_Rider
Influencer

Liked: 3 times
Full Name: Jon

Veeam Logoby v.Eremin » Mon Feb 19, 2018 2:34 pm

Good to know that solution I have voted for works smoothly. Should other help be needed, don't hesitate to let us know. Thanks
v.Eremin
Veeam Software

Liked: 1066 times
Full Name: Vladimir Eremin

Return to Veeam Tools for Microsoft Azure