Direct Restore to Microsoft Azure | VeeamPN software-defined networking
Line_Rider
Influencer
Liked: 3 times
Full Name: Jon

Offsite Backups to Azure - Which method?

Post by Line_Rider » Feb 15, 2018 7:48 pm

I'm researching what method I should implement for getting backup copies offsite to Azure.
No intention of restoring to Azure, this is only to have offsite recent backups that I can pull back after on-prem infrastructure is restored.

There's the Cloud Connect for Enterprise or the VeeamPN and I'm a bit unsure which direction to go with.

VeeamPN, I would do a point to site VPN connection between my on prem Veeam server and then I still create an additional VM in the subnet behind the VeeamPN appliance and configure as a repository correct? This method seems more aligned for doing restores into Azure.

Cloud Connect does seem a little more direct, deploy that as a resource in Azure, connect to it with on my prem console and create a backup copy job to Azure that I could pull from to restore on prem if needed.

v.Eremin
Veeam Software
Liked: 1164 times
Full Name: Vladimir Eremin

Re: Offsite Backups to Azure - Which method?

Post by v.Eremin » Feb 16, 2018 2:10 pm

VeeamPN, I would do a point to site VPN connection between my on prem Veeam server and then I still create an additional VM in the subnet behind the VeeamPN appliance and configure as a repository correct?
This is the best method for your scenario. Azure-based repository and backup copy job pointed to it. Thanks.

Line_Rider
Influencer
Liked: 3 times
Full Name: Jon

Post by Line_Rider » Feb 16, 2018 4:44 pm

After I had posted this I started working on setting up a test between my laptop and the VeeamPN appliance in Azure. I put another VM in that same virtual network (which would be the repo) and was successfully RDP to that test vm using it's internal IP address over the point to site vpn tunnel :)

This is perfect, thank you!

v.Eremin
Veeam Software

Post by v.Eremin » Feb 19, 2018 2:34 pm

Good to know that solution I have voted for works smoothly. Should other help be needed, don't hesitate to let us know. Thanks

marieelieg
Expert
Liked: 4 times

[MERGED] Backup to Azure question

Post by marieelieg » Feb 26, 2018 1:35 pm

Hello dears,

If I want to back up my VMs to cloud (Azure), can I do this so using a VAS license?
What I was thinking is the following:
1- Create a VM on Azure that has enough disk space for backups.
2- Add this VM to Veeam console as a windows server.
3- Create a backup repository using this windows server and specify the path to which the backups will reside (for exmaple D:\backups).
4- Create backup jobs using this repository.

Will the above work? If not what are the steps needed to backup to cloud (Azure) and what are the best practices?

Thank you everyone in advance and have a nice day! :D

v.Eremin
Veeam Software

Post by v.Eremin » Feb 26, 2018 5:58 pm 1 person likes this post

Sure, the described scenario should work fine. Feel free to leverage Veeam PN in case you struggle with connectivity between on-premises and Azure. Thanks.

randerson999
Influencer
Liked: never
Full Name: Ross Anderson

Post by randerson999 » May 09, 2018 1:11 pm

I'm struggling with this exact same issue as the OP. There are multiple options (https://www.veeam.com/blog/availability ... veeam.html) : Veeam Cloud Connect for Enterprise (we have an MS EA but doesn't it require a SimplStore appliance?), Veeam PN (not thrilled about creating a VPN to MS due to security reasons), Veeam and Azure Appliance (can't find this on the Azure marketplace), or Veeam Data Repos with Blob storage (coming in v10).

Right now I'm doing a POC with AWS VTL which is working okay (and more importantly doesn't require a VPN), but I like the idea of being able to restore the Veeam vbks in the event of a disaster, which seems to be more viable with Azure.

I just can't seem to figure out which option will fit our needs, which are very close to the OP. We'll be archiving Veeam backups and then maybe needing to restore VMs in the event of a disaster.

Are most people using Veeam PN to simply have a VM in Azure which servers as a Windows Server repository for sending backup copies to?? Thanks!!