Problem with Installing Direct Restore to Microsoft Azure

Direct Restore to Microsoft Azure | Free, secure file copy for Microsoft Azure VMs

Problem with Installing Direct Restore to Microsoft Azure

Veeam Logoby maxim » Thu Aug 18, 2016 6:09 pm

I submitted this to Veeam Support (Case # 01883539), but they said to post it here instead.

The installation of Veeam Direct Restore to Microsoft Azure using Azure Resource Manager keeps failing. After the process has ended in failure, the new VM exists in the VM list, is shown as running and as consuming resources, but cannot be connected to via RDP. Only new VMs being created with the Direct Restore to Microsoft Azure option are experiencing this problem.

On the last attempt, I stripped down the installation so that no optional extensions are selected. The Microsoft Azure Diagnostics IaaSDiagnostics is being installed by default and refuses to be uninstalled after the face even though the statuses are all showing as unavailable and not ready.

The only options I customized during the setup are resource group, computer name, availability set and subnet - none of which I can see as being able to cause this problem. I have tried the setup using both static and dynamic real world IP addresses.

Any suggestions on what might be done to remedy this issue?

The detailed failure message is below:
Code: Select all
Operation Id
96418C5BEEF899E1
Tracking Id
b65d3ef7-0310-4fdd-917e-7a73b198ad4e
Status
Conflict
Provisioning State
Failed
Timestamp
8/17/2016, 2:48:35 PM
Duration
PT1H30M32.4098607S
Type
Microsoft.Compute/virtualMachines/extensions
Resource Id
/subscriptions/b08712b4-30cc-4c01-8bd0-95a6c147678b/resourceGroups/myazurecloud/providers/Microsoft.Compute/virtualMachines/VBackup01/extensions/Microsoft.Insights.VMDiagnosticsSettings
StatusMessage
{
  "status": "Failed",
  "error": {
    "code": "ResourceDeploymentFailure",
    "message": "The resource operation completed with terminal provisioning state 'Failed'.",
    "details": [
      {
        "code": "VMExtensionProvisioningTimeout",
        "message": "Provisioning of VM extension 'Microsoft.Insights.VMDiagnosticsSettings' has timed out. Extension installation may be taking too long, or extension status could not be obtained."
      }
    ]
  }
}
Resource
Backup01/Microsoft.Insights.VMDiagnosticsSettings
maxim
Novice

Liked: never

Re: Problem with Installing Direct Restore to Microsoft Azur

Veeam Logoby v.Eremin » Tue Aug 23, 2016 11:34 am

Can you elaborate on your issue a bit? The answers to the following questions would be helpful:

- Are you trying to deploy Direct Restore to MS Azure as RM VM?
- Are you trying to restore previously backed up machine as Azure RM VM?
- What solution did you use to create a backup? VB&R, Enpoint?
- What kind of machine are you trying to restore (VMware, Hyper-V, physical, OS, specs, etc.)?
- What Azure size did you choose for that VM?

Thanks.
v.Eremin
Veeam Software

Liked: 968 times
Full Name: Vladimir Eremin

Veeam Logoby maxim » Tue Aug 23, 2016 12:47 pm

Q: Are you trying to deploy Direct Restore to MS Azure as RM VM?
A: The only way - so far I am aware - to deploy Veeam Direct Restore to Microsoft Azure is as a VM, so yes that is what I am doing.

Q: Are you trying to restore previously backed up machine as Azure RM VM?
A: I can't install the restore so at this point I'm not trying to restore anything.

Q: What solution did you use to create a backup? VB&R, Enpoint?
A: Yes, Endpoint. But that has nothing to do with not being able to install the Veeam Direct Restore.

Q: What kind of machine are you trying to restore (VMware, Hyper-V, physical, OS, specs, etc.)?
A: I can't install the restore so at this point I'm not trying to restore anything, but since it is Azure it will be Hyper-V.

Q: What Azure size did you choose for that VM?
A: I assume the question is what was the disc size? 28 GB.

I appreciate the interest in my problem, but I don't think you understand what it is. I am using the Microsoft Azure system - not a local Hyper-V server. Veeam Direct Restore to Microsoft Azure installs itself directly into Azure as a VM.

I have done some additional research and from what I have read I am coming to the opinion that the problem is with the product and not the implementation. It seems Direct Restore is badly flawed and not yet up the standards of other Veeam products. At this stage I believe that even if i could get the product installed, it would not be wise to rely on it.
maxim
Novice

Veeam Logoby v.Eremin » Tue Aug 23, 2016 1:35 pm

I did understand your problem, though decided to double check the details.

Since you experienced problem while deploying a DR2MA appliance (available in Azure Marketplace), the questions 2-5 are irrelevant as they are concerned mostly with restoring process, not installing one. So, you can easily disregard them.

Anyway, the problem with template not deploying successfully looks more like an MS issue and quick google search seems to confirm that, thus, it might stand to reason to reach MS Azure support and let them investigate it directly.

As a workaround, you can try to deploy a DR2MA appliance to a different region, using different VM size.

Thanks.
v.Eremin
Veeam Software

Veeam Logoby Gostev » Thu Sep 08, 2016 11:54 pm

maxim wrote:I appreciate the interest in my problem, but I don't think you understand what it is. I am using the Microsoft Azure system - not a local Hyper-V server. Veeam Direct Restore to Microsoft Azure installs itself directly into Azure as a VM.

It's rather you not understanding Azure terminology. RM is Resource Manager Azure deployment model, there's also Classic deployment model. Vladimir is basically trying to confirm with you which one are you using. Hope this situation teaches him not to use uncommon TLAs in future ;)

maxim wrote:I have done some additional research and from what I have read I am coming to the opinion that the problem is with the product and not the implementation. It seems Direct Restore is badly flawed and not yet up the standards of other Veeam products. At this stage I believe that even if i could get the product installed, it would not be wise to rely on it.

Do you care to share the source of your research? I mean, we're receiving monthly usage statistics for our appliance from Microsoft, and it is very actively deployed and used by hundreds of users. So, it definitely does not look like the appliance has some fatal flaw in it, otherwise it would prevent everyone from deploying and using it.
Gostev
Veeam Software

Liked: 2349 times

Veeam Logoby maxim » Fri Sep 09, 2016 12:25 pm

I spoke to techs at a couple of local bushiness using Azure - one of which had been the person to actually recommend Veeam to us in the first place - and to a consultant who does Azure deployments. All of them were familiar with Veeam and none of them had used it the way we want to - which is to generate image backups to an Azure server housed at different Microsoft data centre.

The techs were familiar with using Veeam products with Azure to do backups and restores using a local - on premises - server. We are not hosting a local server for this and do not wish to host a local server. The person who had recommenced Veeam to us admitted his company had never actually tried to do what we were attempting and had just assumed it would work because they had never had any issues using Veeam with their setup. The consultant told us that Direct Restore was "too new" of a product and that proof of concept testing would be necessary to see if it would work for us.

Some Google searches told me that Direct restore to Azure is quite new and that it is still considered to be in beta. I'm not interested in doing beta testing or proof of concept. We need something with a proven track record, that we can deploy without grief and rely upon if/when the worst happens and we need to do a full restore of a server or servers.

I'm sorry, but at this point we have decided that while Veeam may work for us in the future, it currently does not have the functionality we require - or - at very least - does not have it to the extent that we are willing to risk using it in a production environment.
maxim
Novice

Veeam Logoby v.Eremin » Mon Sep 12, 2016 12:39 pm

As mentioned above, the problem with Microsoft Azure template not deploying correctly lies outside of Veeam area of responsibility and might be better addressed by MS Azure support (which has proven to be quite thoughtful and knowledgeable).

Speaking about Direct Restore to MS Azure, you're right in saying that it's still in technology preview state and might not necessarily answers all of the requirements out clients have. Be aware that we're going to incorporate this functionality in VB&R 9.5 addressing many of the limitations and problems that have either existed from the very beginning or have been found out during technology preview stage.

So, you can wait for 9.5 release or request early access to beta bits (which I think is against your general strategy) through your sales representative and see whether it meets your expectations.

Thanks.
v.Eremin
Veeam Software

Return to Veeam Tools for Microsoft Azure