Problem with restoring to Azure

Direct Restore to Microsoft Azure | Free, secure file copy for Microsoft Azure VMs

Problem with restoring to Azure

Veeam Logoby gbaya » Fri Apr 15, 2016 6:57 pm

associated storage account.

Hello, I'm trying to test Direct Azure Restore. I set a Free Trial Subscription from Azure, installed the Veeam Appliance, downloaded the Configuration file and I followed all steps until the screen where we entered Subscription and Location of the VM is displayed.
Subscription field opens a combo box with Free Trial (the subscription I have) and Location allows to select a Region where VM will be deployed.
I selected Central US (region where appliance is installed and where the storage account is defined).
But when we go to Next, the following messages appears: Azure subscription in region Central US does not have any associated storage account.
Storage account is defined right (I think so) and a file share resource too.

Can anybody help me ?

Best regards.
Gabriel.
gbaya
Novice

Liked: never
Full Name: Gabriel BayĆ”

Re: Problem with restoring to Azure

Veeam Logoby Mike Resseler » Sat Apr 16, 2016 5:21 am 1 person likes this post

Hi Gabriel,

The storage account you created, is that in the ARM model or in the classic model? This first version of this feature does not support restoring to the Azure ARM model. The confusion is that you need to deploy the Veeam appliance to the ARM model (since we are not allowed to do it to the classic model anymore) but the restore is limited (due to technical reasons) to classical. So can you check if you have created a storage account in the classical model? (The one where the appliance runs on is ARM....)

Thanks

Mike
Mike Resseler
Veeam Software

Liked: 362 times
Location: Belgium, the land of the fries, the beer, the chocolate and the diamonds...
Full Name: Mike Resseler

Veeam Logoby ntw » Mon Apr 18, 2016 1:41 pm

I experienced the same error after creating a premium storage account using the Classic Deployment Model while in the new portal. I created it this way because I can't find a way to create a premium storage account from within the classic portal.
ntw
Service Provider

Liked: never
Full Name: Nathan Work

Veeam Logoby v.Eremin » Mon Apr 18, 2016 3:05 pm

I think there is no way to create a premium storage account in classic portal. Thus, such accounts are not manageable via APIs we rely on.

Consider it as a limitation that we are going to address down the road.

Try to specify a standard account and see whether the wizard proceeds smoothly.

Thanks.
v.Eremin
Veeam Software

Liked: 966 times
Full Name: Vladimir Eremin

Veeam Logoby Baptiste » Mon May 09, 2016 1:42 pm

Hello Eremin,

Why isn't it possible to restore to ARM portal ? You are using old API for a brand new product ? i am a bit confused.

There is so much limitation on ASM portal, do you plan to realize a new version taking care of ARM ?
Baptiste
Service Provider

Liked: 5 times

Veeam Logoby Baptiste » Tue May 10, 2016 7:12 am

Another little question, why is the restoring time so long ? it's around 11MB/s for an Azure to Azure ?! Does it use internet to upload to the storage blob ?

Thanks for your answers.
Baptiste
Service Provider

Liked: 5 times

Veeam Logoby jmmarton » Tue May 10, 2016 2:06 pm

Baptiste wrote:Another little question, why is the restoring time so long ? it's around 11MB/s for an Azure to Azure ?! Does it use internet to upload to the storage blob ?

That's an Azure limitation. Currently MS limits it to 10MB/s, though I believe you can do up to 6 streams at once to get an effective throughput of 60MB/s.

Joe
jmmarton
Veeam Software

Liked: 89 times
Full Name: Joe Marton

Veeam Logoby jmmarton » Tue May 10, 2016 3:02 pm

10MB/s per disk I should say, so you can do up to 6 disks at once to get 60MB/s.

Joe
jmmarton
Veeam Software

Liked: 89 times
Full Name: Joe Marton

Veeam Logoby v.Eremin » Tue May 17, 2016 4:53 pm

Baptiste wrote:Hello Eremin,

Why isn't it possible to restore to ARM portal ? You are using old API for a brand new product ? i am a bit confused.

There is so much limitation on ASM portal, do you plan to realize a new version taking care of ARM ?

It's a limitation related to technical preview of a brand new product feature. It will be addressed in the next product version when DR2MA will be a part of VB&R.

Thanks.
v.Eremin
Veeam Software

Liked: 966 times
Full Name: Vladimir Eremin

Return to Veeam Tools for Microsoft Azure