Direct Restore to Microsoft Azure | VeeamPN software-defined networking
abelaguilar
Lurker
Liked: never
Full Name: Abel Aguilar

replication using veeam pn

Post by abelaguilar » Sep 19, 2019 1:21 am

Hello: I would like to replicate over to my host located in my home lab using community edition. I am not sure how to establish a vpn. Am I supposed to use veeam pn to establish the link before setting up the replication job?

wishr
Veeam Software
Liked: 122 times
Full Name: Fedor Maslov

Re: replication using veeam pm

Post by wishr » Sep 19, 2019 9:41 am

Hi Abel,

Actually, you may use any VPN solution to achieve that site-to-site connectivity - there is a variety of guides on the internet. However, Veeam PN can be also used to achieve this, but you get the most value off it if you are planning to use Microsoft Azure as a DR option. Before making a decision, I'd recommend confirming that system requirements are fine for you.

Thanks

abelaguilar
Lurker
Liked: never
Full Name: Abel Aguilar

Re: replication using veeam pn

Post by abelaguilar » Sep 19, 2019 1:35 pm

Thank you for the reply!! Are all VPN solutions similar? Would there be an easier setup for a newbie like myself? OpenVPN?

wishr
Veeam Software
Liked: 122 times
Full Name: Fedor Maslov

Re: replication using veeam pn

Post by wishr » Sep 19, 2019 1:55 pm

Most common VPN clients use the same logic with slightly different sets of capabilities, but this does not apply to VeeamPN that has been designed for the specific needs of our customers.

It's up to you which one to use. Personally, I'd stick with Veeam PN for long-term data protection operations and choose OpenVPN or native Windows VPN client for a one-time task that does not imply a transfer of large amounts of data. In the case with traditional VPN solutions, you might require a dedicated external IP address on the machine that will act as a VPN server (to be accessible from outside) and might also need to apply changes on the router end if you use one to allow incoming connections.