Restore to Azure causing Veeam server to reboot!

Direct Restore to Microsoft Azure | Free, secure file copy for Microsoft Azure VMs

Restore to Azure causing Veeam server to reboot!

Veeam Logoby DDIT » Thu Aug 10, 2017 8:18 am

[Support #02276497] Veeam 9.5 U2

Hi,

I just logged this support case but thought I would share here as this seems such an unusual issue. I am testing Restore to Azure but it causing my physical Veeam server to forcibly reboot. I test restores regularly (from disk, tape, different repo's - local and iscsi storage - full vm's, application items and vm files) and never has the server rebooted itself before.

I successfully created the Azure Backup Proxy using the guide here https://helpcenter.veeam.com/docs/backu ... tml?ver=95

Then started the restore of a small SQL server vm from a previous backup from a hyper-v host. I stepped through the wizard and the restore started. Progress showed it restored the vm disks successfully and completed the 'performing conversion' task. The server then reboots and Veeam reports the job 'Job has failed unexpectedly'.

The end time of "22:02:24" is after the server has been restarted.

In Event Viewer, I can see some unusual errors

The server reboots around 21:55 and is up again at 21:58.

I tried the restore again and it rebooted again. I then moved the vm files from iSCSI attached storage, to local storage, added local as a repo, re-scanned the new repo, and tried the restore again - the server rebooted again!

Any suggestions?? I have uploaded the Veeam server logs to support.
DDIT
Enthusiast

Liked: 3 times
Full Name: Michael Yorke

Re: Restore to Azure causing Veeam server to reboot!

Veeam Logoby v.Eremin » Thu Aug 10, 2017 11:16 am

During restoration process, VM registry is attached to backup server. If registry is either corrupted or contains invalid entities, there might be several unexpected issues, including computer reboot.

You can try to restore VM, using different restore point (it might not necessarily contain broken registry).

Anyway, it's just an assumption, support team will provide definitive answer.

Thanks.
v.Eremin
Veeam Software

Liked: 968 times
Full Name: Vladimir Eremin

Veeam Logoby DDIT » Thu Aug 10, 2017 2:47 pm

Hi,

Thanks for the suggestion. In order to test that, I just created a completely new backup job, added the SQL server, ran that, it created a full backup of course. Then I tried to restore that to Azure and the server reboot happened again. Support have contacted me asking for the event viewer logs and memory.dmp file so I have provided those.

Meanwhile, I thought to test restoring a different VM, so picked a vm with Server 2016 eval I have been using for testing. It has two SCSI disks attached. However, when I launch the Restore to Azure wizard, on the 2nd page (subscription), I click Next and get the message "Restoring Linux computers require helper appliance. Deploy the appliance now?" - why am I getting this for a Windows Server 2016 vm!? I did not get this message when attempting restore of the SQL server (Win Server 2008).

Regards
DDIT
Enthusiast

Veeam Logoby v.Eremin » Fri Aug 11, 2017 1:42 pm

Chances are, Application Aware Image Processing functionality had not been enabled, therefore, information regarding OS was not collected. Thanks.
v.Eremin
Veeam Software

Veeam Logoby DDIT » Fri Aug 11, 2017 3:52 pm

Hi,

Thanks for clearing that up regarding the Linux message - it's still a bit of an odd message though. Perhaps it should say "...however, if this is a Windows VM please click NO".

Meanwhile, I ignored that message and continued with the restore of the Server 2016 eval I mentioned before. The restore completed successfully without a server reboot, so the issue appears related to the SQL vm I am restoring. Support have scheduled a webex for Monday to investigate further.

Regards
DDIT
Enthusiast

Veeam Logoby v.Eremin » Fri Aug 11, 2017 4:23 pm

Good to know, it means that our original assumption regarding mounting disk/registry of VM in question being the root cause is not completely wrong. Kindly, keep us updated about the results of support investigation.
v.Eremin
Veeam Software

Return to Veeam Tools for Microsoft Azure