Restore to Azure from Cloud Connect

Direct Restore to Microsoft Azure | VeeamPN software-defined networking

Re: Restore to Azure from Cloud Connect

Veeam Logoby frankive » Wed Apr 11, 2018 7:41 am

Would be nice with a little blog on this though.. :) If the disaster is happening I guess there could be quite a few It-Pros who would need a list with screenshot to follow as they heartbeat is raising to 180 BPM and the brain is not working as planned.. :)
frankive
Service Provider

Liked: 99 times
Full Name: Frank Iversen

Veeam Logoby jayscarff » Fri Jul 27, 2018 8:31 pm

Vlad,

Is this still the case? I have a...

1 Cloud repository with provider A
1 B&R server with provider B
100 clients with Veeam who use offsite backup with either provider.

I need to restore to Azure directly from the Cloud repository in Provider A - via Provider B B&R console...without having to move TB's of data. I managed provider B so i can make that work BUT... no chance of getting another console in provider A and i dont want them to do the restore. I guess this is by design though and isnt something that will change?

Thanks
Jason
VMCE v9
jayscarff
Service Provider

Liked: 2 times

Veeam Logoby v.Eremin » Mon Jul 30, 2018 3:55 pm

If provider A allows access to corresponding folder that hosts the cloud repository, you can add the cloud repository as regular repository to backup console B and perform restore to Azure from there. Thanks.
v.Eremin
Veeam Software

Liked: 1122 times
Full Name: Vladimir Eremin

Veeam Logoby jayscarff » Wed Aug 01, 2018 9:52 pm

Thanks Vlad,
If the repository is on the cloud gateway and has then B&R console, then you could restore to Azure directly from that console\gateway\cloud connect ?
Jason
VMCE v9
jayscarff
Service Provider

Veeam Logoby v.Eremin » Fri Aug 03, 2018 9:12 am

I'm a bit confused with the design described.

- You have two servers: a Cloud Connect server and a backup server
- You want to restore data stored in cloud repository to Azure
- You want to restore this data from the backup server

Does it sound right to you? If so, you will need to get an access from the backup server to underlying file system of cloud connect server.

The access is needed so you can the folder (hosting cloud repository) as regular repository to the backup server. Only then will you be able to restore VMs to Azure.

Otherwise, consider deploying a spare console close to the cloud connect server and using it solely for restoration purposes.

Thanks.
v.Eremin
Veeam Software

Veeam Logoby frankive » Fri Aug 03, 2018 9:16 am

Wouldn't it be easier to be able to restore from the VCC server directly into Azure in a future relase since this is causing confusing among serverl consultants I know.
frankive
Service Provider

Liked: 99 times
Full Name: Frank Iversen

Veeam Logoby v.Eremin » Fri Aug 03, 2018 2:29 pm

If we allowed this at certain point, we would do give this option at tenant's side, not SP's one. Anyway, I got your point. Thanks.
v.Eremin
Veeam Software

Veeam Logoby randerson999 » Tue Aug 07, 2018 3:08 pm

I am royally confused at this point. We are in the same boat as many here. We are doing a POC and backing up from on-prem to Azure using Veeam Cloud Connect for Enterprise. This appears to be going fine as far as the backups are concerned.

However, in the event of a DR situation we want to be able to restore those VCC backups directly into Azure. I understand this is not possible by just using the VCC VM, but what EXACTLY is required to make this happen? Remember, the on-prem VB&R may or may not be accessible during the DR situation.

This being the case, I understand that we would need a VB&R VM in Azure that somehow has access to the VCC repository (directly or indirectly - VB&R may have a local repos and have a copy of the VCC repos backups). At that point, can you initiate a restore from the Azure VB&R server DIRECTLY into Azure itself?

Alternatively, if you have an operational on-prem VB&R server and an Azure based Veeam proxy VM, presumably you can also restore the Azure-based VCC backups provided you can access the repository that is holding those backups?

The v9.5 docs appear to not support direct restores from VCC into Azure - https://helpcenter.veeam.com/docs/backu ... tml?ver=95 - but this thread seems to indicate otherwise. I just can't quite wrap my head around the exact process!
randerson999
Novice

Liked: never
Full Name: Ross Anderson

Veeam Logoby jayscarff » Tue Aug 07, 2018 4:25 pm

I dont think its very straight forward, but I'm going to put the B&R console on the VCC gateway...means you can import the backups from the local repo and restore directly to Azure. be aware that i've not figured out how i can add an existing Azure Proxy to another console....so you may need to create a new one from the VCC B&R console.
Jason
VMCE v9
jayscarff
Service Provider

Veeam Logoby v.Eremin » Wed Aug 08, 2018 11:59 am

This being the case, I understand that we would need a VB&R VM in Azure that somehow has access to the VCC repository (directly or indirectly - VB&R may have a local repos and have a copy of the VCC repos backups). At that point, can you initiate a restore from the Azure VB&R server DIRECTLY into Azure itself?

All you need is a separate backup server to which you can import required backups (not the one that runs Cloud Connect infrastructure). Once backups are imported, you can initiate whatever restore operation you'd like to.

If this backup server runs in Azure, restore traffic will be isolated to Azure.

Thanks.
v.Eremin
Veeam Software

Veeam Logoby randerson999 » Thu Aug 09, 2018 2:08 pm

^ But is it as simple as just restoring from the VB&R VM you have running in Azure? How does VB&R communicate with Azure to actually restore from the backup? With on-prem, your VB&R has to have a registered vcenter in order to know where it can restore to. On the Azure VB&R, you won't be registered to a vcenter .. so how does it do the restore? How does it know where to restore to?

I've done an on-prem to Azure restore using an Azure Proxy, so I assume it works in a similar fashion - there must be built-in code somewhere that allows VB&R to restore to Azure without explicitly referencing or registering a vcenter server.

Thanks!
randerson999
Novice

Veeam Logoby v.Eremin » Thu Aug 09, 2018 6:24 pm

But is it as simple as just restoring from the VB&R VM you have running in Azure?

As mentioned, CC console cannot be used for restoration purpose.

How does VB&R communicate with Azure to actually restore from the backup?

You will register Azure subscription first. Then, you will restore VMs to this subscription. Kindly, check corresponding section of our User Guide.

Thanks.
v.Eremin
Veeam Software

Veeam Logoby randerson999 » Fri Aug 10, 2018 2:17 pm

Once again, that guide is only for restoring from ON-PREMISE to AZURE :)

We have backed up to Azure using VCC. The issue is restoring those backups that are already IN AZURE on the VCC vm INTO our AZURE instance. I know we can restore from ON-PREM into AZURE. We need to be able to restore FROM AZURE TO AZURE. We know we can't use the VCC VM to do the restore as well.

So, can we create a separate VB&R VM in Azure to restore those Veeam Backups from the VCC VM directly into Azure? There will be NO involvement from on-premise at all in this scenario.
randerson999
Novice

Veeam Logoby v.Eremin » Fri Aug 10, 2018 4:05 pm

So, can we create a separate VB&R VM in Azure to restore those Veeam Backups from the VCC VM directly into Azure? There will be NO involvement from on-premise at all in this scenario.

Correct, as all components will be sitting in Azure. Thanks.
v.Eremin
Veeam Software

Veeam Logoby randerson999 » Fri Aug 10, 2018 7:42 pm

Ok, I will try installing VB&R on a different Azure VM and then see if I can share the repository from the VCC VM. Thanks!
randerson999
Novice

PreviousNext

Return to Veeam Tools for Microsoft Azure