Restore to Azure from Cloud Connect

Direct Restore to Microsoft Azure | Free, secure file copy for Microsoft Azure VMs

Restore to Azure from Cloud Connect

Veeam Logoby TheNev » Fri Jul 28, 2017 8:20 am

Hi

I'm currently running a proof of concept hosting Veeam Cloud Connect in Azure with the hopes of leveraging Azure as a DR Restore destination.
From my testing it appears I cannot perform a Restore to Azure whilst using Cloud Connect as the source
This article says
https://helpcenter.veeam.com/docs/backup/cloud/cloud_connect_limitations.html?ver=95
restore to Microsoft Azure from backups in the cloud repository are not supported.

however this marketing implies it's possible
https://www.veeam.com/blog/cloud-restore-azure-veeam-availability-suite.html
"It is also critical to note that those of you who are already using Veeam Cloud Connect Backup for Service Providers or Veeam Cloud Connect for the Enterprise appliances in Azure can bypass the step of copying backup files (since their backups are already stored in Azure), and restore directly from their existing Azure appliance as soon as it is upgraded to version 9.5."

Can anyone point me in the right direction ?

I've tested using an Veeam DR2MA
TheNev
Service Provider

Liked: never
Full Name: Jason Neville

Re: Restore to Azure from Cloud Connect

Veeam Logoby v.Eremin » Fri Jul 28, 2017 11:41 am

Veeam DR2MA is outdated appliance with various limitations (that are not relevant any longer), so, feel free to leverage Veeam Backup & Replication 9.5 instead that has the Direct Restore to MS Azure feature already included.

As to restoration of backups stored in cloud repositories, there are two ways how it can be achieved:

1) Managed by SP. SP might import your backups to his additional console and restore required VMs to Azure.
2) Managed by you. Deploy additional backup console in Azure, connect it to your SP, copy backups to your backup console, restore VMs.

Thanks.
v.Eremin
Veeam Software

Liked: 1007 times
Full Name: Vladimir Eremin

Veeam Logoby TheNev » Fri Jul 28, 2017 11:57 am

Thanks for the quick reply.
I was able to achieve 1) by simply creating a CIFS repository that points back at a share of the original VCC repository files. This negates the need to copy them to a new location before importing them.
TheNev
Service Provider

Liked: never
Full Name: Jason Neville

Veeam Logoby v.Eremin » Fri Jul 28, 2017 12:42 pm

Yep, there should have been an option number 3, indeed.

3) Mixed efforts. SP publishes backups anyhow in order for a tenant to perform restore to MS Azure.

Thanks.
v.Eremin
Veeam Software

Liked: 1007 times
Full Name: Vladimir Eremin

Return to Veeam Tools for Microsoft Azure