Restore VMs from VMware environment to Azure

Direct Restore to Microsoft Azure | Free, secure file copy for Microsoft Azure VMs

Restore VMs from VMware environment to Azure

Veeam Logoby mephisto » Fri Sep 30, 2016 9:52 am

Hi guys,

I was reading the direct restore webpage https://www.veeam.com/cloud-direct-restore-azure.html as I was wondering if it is possible to recover VMware VMs to Azure using this tool?

If not, what are the other methods to replicate/backup VMs from VMware ESXi to Azure? Is it feasible/possible?

Thanks!
mephisto
Enthusiast

Liked: 6 times
Full Name: Mephisto poa

Re: Restore VMs from VMware environment to Azure

Veeam Logoby Mike Resseler » Fri Sep 30, 2016 11:31 am

Hi Mephisto,

Yes, it will be possible to restore a VMware VM backed up with B&R to Azure

Cheers
Mike
Mike Resseler
Veeam Software

Liked: 362 times
Location: Belgium, the land of the fries, the beer, the chocolate and the diamonds...
Full Name: Mike Resseler

Veeam Logoby mephisto » Mon Oct 03, 2016 1:53 pm

Thanks, I ended up finding in the documentation later on about it, need to check my eyes!

Just noticed the limitation on virtual disk sizes, just 1TB per virtual disk seems quite small. Most of my VMs will fall outside this and they are not massive or anything.
mephisto
Enthusiast

Liked: 6 times
Full Name: Mephisto poa

Veeam Logoby Mike Resseler » Tue Oct 04, 2016 5:27 am 1 person likes this post

Hi Mephisto,

Unfortunately, this is not our limit but a limit in Azure. One virtual disk can be maximum 1 TB in that environment. MSFT has confirmed that they are working on supporting GEN 2 VM's and support for virtual disks with 32 TB instead of 1 but no timeline has been given. From the moment that becomes available, Veeam will certainly look into this and see how fast we can support those but for now we need to work with what Azure can give us...

Cheers

Mike
Mike Resseler
Veeam Software

Liked: 362 times
Location: Belgium, the land of the fries, the beer, the chocolate and the diamonds...
Full Name: Mike Resseler

Return to Veeam Tools for Microsoft Azure