Simplify and orchestrate VPN networking and configuration tasks.
pco_Chris
Novice
Liked: never
Full Name: Christian van Eickelen

Routing issue with ESXi

Post by pco_Chris »

Hey folks,
i'm testing VeeamPN for my company. I did this in my homelab. Here are some words regarding my configuration.

Azure VNet: 192.168.1.0/24
Network Hub in Azure: 192.168.1.5
Test VM in Azure: 192.168.1.4

The Site gateway is deployed on a nested ESXi 6.7 running in VMware Workstation. The vNIC is running in bridged mode to use the local network's ip range.

Local Network: 192.168.178.0/24
Default gateway: 192.168.178.1
Side gateway IP: 192.168.178.47

I added a static route a test VM running on the nested ESXi host running the command "route add 192.168.1.0 mask 255.255.255.0 192.168.178.47"
This works fine for the VM and i'm able to connect to VMs running in Azure. I added the static to route my local client, too. But this doens't work. I'm not able to ping the test VM in
My local client and the nested ESXi host are running on different physical machines, but everything is on the same subnet. So i'm glad if you can help me. I'm a little bit confused.

Greetz,
Chris

HannesK
Veeam Software
Liked: 809 times

Re: Routing issue with ESXi

Post by HannesK »

Hello,
and welcome to the forums.

As you mention VMware workstation... I remember that networking can be complicated there. I would start with tracert (on your workstation) to check where the packets are going. Next step tcpdump (on the VeeamPN machine in VMware workstation) to check whether the ping package arrives at that network interface. Then tcpdump on the Azure VeeamPN machine and Azure VM.

I also assume that your local client is also in 192.168.178.0/24. Because otherwise that network also needs to be configured.

Best regards,
Hannes

pco_Chris
Novice

Post by pco_Chris »

Hello Hannes,
thanks for your response. Yes, you're right. My local client is in 192.168.178.0/24 as well. I did a tracert, but i received a timeout. :-/
Seems to be more complicated as i thought.
Greetz,
Chris

pco_Chris
Novice

Post by pco_Chris »

Okay, i guess my challenge was only ONE thing. That was the nested ESXi host.

In the back of the room i found one of my old notebooks, so i was able to install a dedicated ESXi host for testing.
As a result everything is working fine now. All resources in the cloud and vice versa are accessible now.

Thx for your assistance.

Best regards,
Chris