Slow performance - Veeam FastSCP for Microsoft Azure

Direct Restore to Microsoft Azure | Free, secure file copy for Microsoft Azure VMs

Slow performance - Veeam FastSCP for Microsoft Azure

Veeam Logoby SwanB » Thu Apr 14, 2016 7:11 am

Hello,

I set up a solution for doing "Direct Restore to Microsoft Azure", utilizing the "pre-configured Veeam's Azure appliance that delivers cloud restore for Veeam backups". I then installed "Veeam FastSCP for Microsoft Azure" locally to transfer the local Veeam backups to Azure.

This product seems like a very good idea for redundancy, backuprecovery etc.

We are using a 1Gb Internet fibre line for this file transfer but however throughput throughput/Transfer Rate using FastSCP is devastating.
The best transfer rate we get is 2,6 MB/s, (4,5Gb is transferred in almost 26 minutes), using ther Standard Windows 2012 Veeam preconfiured A2 Azure-server.
Needless to say, but that is making a great product useless.

1. What is causing the bottleneck ?

2. Is it any way of tweak the FastSCP transfer rate behaviour ?

/Best Regards

SwanB
SwanB
Novice

Liked: never
Full Name: Swan B

Re: Slow performance - Veeam FastSCP for Microsoft Azure

Veeam Logoby Mike Resseler » Thu Apr 14, 2016 11:01 am

Hi Swan,

As far as I know the transfer speed is something that we can't control... The bottleneck is between Azure and yourself and only when you have different solutions it can become faster.

It can also depend on your location versus the datacenter location (azure).

Did you see faster speeds to an Azure VHD using other tools?

Mike
Mike Resseler
Veeam Software

Liked: 362 times
Location: Belgium, the land of the fries, the beer, the chocolate and the diamonds...
Full Name: Mike Resseler

Veeam Logoby v.Eremin » Thu Apr 14, 2016 11:36 am

As a first investigation step, may I ask you to perform upload speed test and provide us with the resulting number? Be aware to open this link on computer you're running Azure FastSCP from and choose a region target VM resides on. Thanks.
v.Eremin
Veeam Software

Liked: 968 times
Full Name: Vladimir Eremin

Veeam Logoby SwanB » Fri Apr 15, 2016 8:35 am

Thank you for getting back to me.
I now did a "Azure Storage Large File Upload Speed Test" using http://azurespeed.com/Azure/UploadLargeFile

I here get Upload speeds at about 14,6 MB/s, a 306 mB file is uploaded in 20.9 seconds, resulting in about 1 GB / minute
I am still "underwhelmed" about the performance, but I am getting almost 6 times better performance here, then when using "Fast"SCP.

Any suggestions are welcome.

/SwanB
SwanB
Novice

Veeam Logoby SwanB » Fri Apr 15, 2016 9:42 am

PS. What performance are you guys getting when doing File upload Speed test vs. using FastSCP to Azure ?

I am testing to datacenters in region "West Europe" and "North Europe", (the West Europe in Netherland is slightly better (14,6 MB/s))

/SwanB
SwanB
Novice

Veeam Logoby v.Eremin » Fri Apr 15, 2016 2:54 pm

Azure tests are supposed to illustrate the unattainable maximum. These tests are leveraging Azure RESTful API to write test data directly to blob storage, while FastSCP writes data to Azure VM, thus, putting Remote PS into use.

Due to that, the resulting speed is lower than the one reported by Azure test. Typically, we've seen the 2x difference, while in your case it's more dramatic.

You might check the other tools to see whether this speed barrier can be overcome.

Thanks.
v.Eremin
Veeam Software

Veeam Logoby SwanB » Fri Apr 15, 2016 2:55 pm

1. What performance in MB/s are you guys getting when doing File upload Speed test vs. using FastSCP to Azure ?

2. What other tools do you recommend for transferring Veeam backup files on a scheduled basis ?
SwanB
Novice

Veeam Logoby v.Eremin » Fri Apr 22, 2016 12:12 pm

1. I don't think particular speed matter here, as it solely depends on your internet connection.

What matters here is the difference between unattainable maximum and real transfer rates. And typically we get 2x faster performance in case of File Upload Speed. However, if the data to copy can be compressed well, the transfer speeds become comparable (if not equal).

2. We couldn't recommend any specific 3-party tool. Quick google search should show multiple variants for you.

Keep us posted on the results of your findings; we're more than interested.

Thanks.
v.Eremin
Veeam Software

Veeam Logoby SwanB » Mon Apr 25, 2016 7:45 am

Thank you for getting back to me.

We are indeed confused about using the Veeam FastSCP for Microsoft Azure in a professional setting for real world usage.

As we are testing this product, running high speed(1Gb), high quality fibre data comm. lines and still do get these poor performance numbers we are very interesting hearing if other company succesfully are using this product for anything alse than a proof of concept for transferring small test servers to Azure(< 80gb), having unlimited time for tranferral ? (any reference cases ?)

If Veeam FastSCP for Microsoft Azure elsewhere is successfully used profesionally, what performance in MB/s are you guys getting ?
(any suggestion for tweaks and setup improvements are welcome)

Thanks
SwanB
Novice

Veeam Logoby BSiegel » Sat Apr 30, 2016 11:29 am

Same issue here. I setup the exact same configuration you described but we have a 50 Mbps Metro WAN. Out FastSCP server appears to be averaging approx. 1138 KBps. I’ve been watching a 75GB VM transferring to Azure now for about 24 hours and its only 30%. I don’t see how this can be used in any type of DRP plan. Perhaps this is only good for slow migrations but I will not know this until I actual get a chance to restore the VM when it’s done transferring.
BSiegel
Lurker

Full Name: Benjamin Siegel

Veeam Logoby v.Eremin » Mon May 02, 2016 11:58 am

Just so you know – your feedback has been certainly heard. And we are indeed aware of speed limitations you're talking about.

Generally speaking, there are both: limitations coming from us, and those coming from MS Azure itself. And currently we’re trying our best to resolve what we possibly can.

Thanks.
v.Eremin
Veeam Software

Veeam Logoby SwanB » Tue May 03, 2016 1:39 pm

BSiegel - Thank you for sharing real world experience.

Our conclusion regarding "Direct Restore to Microsoft Azure", utilizing Veeam's Azure appliance, is the same as yours.

It seems to only "work" for very slow migration of very small servers(<20GB), given that the user has unlimited time at their hands.
No documentation from any working reference installations and no performance numbers from any professional usage.

It's a shame really that this is failing. Veeam have previously typically launched other good products for the professional market.
SwanB
Novice

Veeam Logoby Gostev » Wed May 04, 2016 10:17 am

All, please do keep in mind DR2MA is merely a technology preview at this time ;) or in BSiegel's words, proof of concept. Performance will be optimized in the official release of this functionality, of course. For starters, it will not require using FastSCP at all, as the restore will be direct from on-prem backup server to Azure.

It's great to see all the interest!
Gostev
Veeam Software

Liked: 2349 times

Veeam Logoby Gostev » Tue May 24, 2016 1:52 pm

Just to update, here is the information about all the enhancements we're adding in the initial release of this functionality. Particularly, we found that using an (optional) gateway VM in Azure speeds up the restore performance in a few times. Thanks!
Gostev
Veeam Software

Liked: 2349 times

Veeam Logoby SwanB » Tue May 24, 2016 1:55 pm

Thang you for update.

What is the change in performance, is it still devastating slow ?
SwanB
Novice

Next

Return to Veeam Tools for Microsoft Azure