Liked: never
Full Name: Marc Moennikes

use Azure for DR

Post by marcmoe » Apr 01, 2019 5:55 am

Hello,

we are using VEEAM with VMWARE.

we want to configure the following:

- Replicate / Copy the latest Backups (last x days) to Azure
- we want to have the possibility to recover /spin up virtual machines from this backup if needed (disaster recovery)
- we do not need to have the virtual servers on azure to have "stand by", it would be ok if we have the possibility to recover them if needed on azure, but the data should be already on azure, so no additional data transfer of backup data is needed (this will take long time)

Is it possible to copy/replicate VEEAM Backup data to Azure BLOB, the latest backup should be avalaible, so no long term archive?
Is it possible in azure to recover directly from Azure BLOB storage, maybe to access the data with virtual server on azure?
Anybody has created such environment?
We have to find a way which has no high cost

Maybe somebody has some tips/hints for us.

Thank you

Regards

Marc

HannesK
Veeam Software
Liked: 334 times

Re: use Azure for DR

Post by HannesK » Apr 01, 2019 6:19 am

Hello,
From a restore perspective: as far as I can see, capacity tier offers the features you need.
Data recovery can also be done directly to Amazon EC2 or Microsoft Azure, as described in the Restore to Amazon EC2 and Restore to Microsoft Azure sections respectively.
But today, capacity tier is a "move" of old data. No "copy" of current data. We are planning improvements, but I cannot give you a timeline yet. So Azure BLOB is probably not usable for your scenario today.

The workaround would be a normal repository running as a VM in Azure. Just point a backup copy job to that repository to get the current backup to Azure

Best regards,
Hannes

marcmoe
Novice
Liked: never
Full Name: Marc Moennikes

Post by marcmoe » Apr 01, 2019 7:13 am

Hello,

thank you for your answer.

But today, capacity tier is a "move" of old data. No "copy" of current data. We are planning improvements, but I cannot give you a timeline yet. So Azure BLOB is probably not usable for your scenario today.
Azure BLOB would be also a great option (my opinion) to store the data also for DR.
It is much less expensive and the data is normally not accessed, only if DR is needed.

Could Azure Files an alternative?

Somebody experience about the cost for read/write/list cost (Azure Blob / Files)?
Is it possible to estimate it?

Regards

HannesK
Veeam Software
Liked: 334 times

Post by HannesK » Apr 01, 2019 7:29 am

I agree with you about Azure BLOB storage, but it's not in the product right now :-)

As far as I know, there are too many limitations (parallel streams etc.) with Azure Files and other cloud SMB file shares. At least I have heard no positive feedback yet.