Veeam 9 and Azure Direct Restore Setup

Direct Restore to Microsoft Azure | Free, secure file copy for Microsoft Azure VMs

Veeam 9 and Azure Direct Restore Setup

Veeam Logoby shepcon » Thu Apr 14, 2016 12:13 pm

I'm running Veeam 9 with Update 1 and about to test some of the different cloud backup options for Veeam. The 1st option I'm working with is the Direct Restore to Microsoft Azure. I somewhat understand that this creates an appliance in Azure that Veeam can then talk to as a restore point. My 1st goal is to have Veeam replicate my VM backup files to a remote backup repository using the cloud connect tools. Can I use Direct Restore to Microsoft Azure for this or possibly Veeam FastSCP for Microsoft Azure?

Just trying to understand how all of these tools and options work together. I have a small VMware setup with less than 8 VMs.

Thanks for any input.

Ken
shepcon
Lurker

Liked: never
Full Name: Ken Shep

Re: Veeam 9 and Azure Direct Restore Setup

Veeam Logoby v.Eremin » Thu Apr 14, 2016 1:00 pm

Actually, Veeam Direct Restore to MS Azure is simple backup server running version 9 GA that is shipped in the form of Azure Marketplace appliance. The only thing that is different about it is the ability to restore backed up VMs directly to Azure Virtual Machines (Iaas).

On the main screen you click on the Advanced mode in order to get access to typical backup server GUI and, then, assign a cloud connect license to it. This should make it a cloud connect SP's server and you would be able to send data to it.

Thanks.
v.Eremin
Veeam Software

Liked: 973 times
Full Name: Vladimir Eremin

Veeam Logoby shepcon » Thu Apr 14, 2016 1:42 pm

So I cannot purchase the cloud connect license direct from Microsoft Azure? I must go elsewhere?

Thanks.

Ken
shepcon
Lurker

Liked: never
Full Name: Ken Shep

Veeam Logoby v.Eremin » Thu Apr 14, 2016 3:48 pm

In order to get a Cloud Connect license you should become a member of our VCSP program. More details regarding it can be found here. Thanks.
v.Eremin
Veeam Software

Veeam Logoby cowhow » Wed May 25, 2016 3:09 pm

I'm in the same boat as I'm exploring using Azure to replicate backups with a higher Ed school. We already have our students on Office 365 and we're migrating our production Exchange there also as we get this free from MS. How does Azure Direct apply to an educational institution? I'd also like to how replicating backups to Azure is different than using a cloud provider.
MCITP/EA, VCP5-DCV
cowhow
Enthusiast

Liked: 1 time
Full Name: Tony Price

Veeam Logoby v.Eremin » Thu May 26, 2016 4:10 pm

How does Azure Direct apply to an educational institution?

You mean in terms of prices and discounts? Direct Restore to Microsoft Azure is a free product, you should pay only to Microsoft for using Azure compute resources.

I'd also like to how replicating backups to Azure is different than using a cloud provide

Direct Restore to Microsoft Azure is not about sending data for long-term archival purpose to the SP of your choice, it's more about taking backups and restoring VMs present them to Azure IaaS (Virtual Machines) - approach suitable for backup verification, creation of test environments or migration.

Thanks.
v.Eremin
Veeam Software

Return to Veeam Tools for Microsoft Azure