Veeam and Azure Stack

Direct Restore to Microsoft Azure | VeeamPN software-defined networking

Veeam and Azure Stack

Veeam Logoby wandersick » Mon Dec 18, 2017 5:35 am

Hello,

I am working on an Azure Stack project and sincerely would like to leverage Veeam as the backup solution. Is it possible at this moment?

(BTW, I see Commvault has an early release of "Virtual Server Agent for Microsoft Azure Stack". How's Veeam doing on Azure Stack at this moment?)

Thanks.
wandersick
Novice

Liked: never
Full Name: wandersick

Re: Veeam and Azure Stack

Veeam Logoby v.Eremin » Mon Dec 18, 2017 12:14 pm 1 person likes this post

Currently the only way to back up VMs running on AzureStack is to do that from inside the guest. So, feel free to protect those workloads, using our Veeam Agent solutions.

Also, it might be worth waiting till Update 3 release, because it has agent central management functionality included, which should ease the orchestration task dramatically.

Thanks.
v.Eremin
Veeam Software

Liked: 1113 times
Full Name: Vladimir Eremin

Veeam Logoby wandersick » Thu Dec 21, 2017 7:32 am

Thanks for the prompt response.

What about restore? Would "Restore to Microsoft Azure" work? If not, how should we go about that? (Restore VM to Azure Stack)

https://helpcenter.veeam.com/docs/agent ... tml?ver=21
wandersick
Novice

Veeam Logoby anthonyspiteri79 » Fri Dec 22, 2017 12:25 am 1 person likes this post

At the moment there is no Direct Restore to Azure Stack support in Backup & Replication.

I've been working with some providers who have gotten creative and worked out a way to manually restore VMs from Agent backups back into Azure Stack. They have done this with PowerShell where they import the VHD and then construct and new Azure VM using the New-AzureRmVM commandlet.

Thanks
Anthony Spiteri
Global Technologist, Product Strategy | VMware vExpert
Email: anthony.spiteri@veeam.com | Mobile: +61488335699
Twitter: @anthonyspiteri | Skype: anthony_spiteri
anthonyspiteri79
Veeam Software

Liked: 25 times
Full Name: Anthony Spiteri

Veeam Logoby wandersick » Wed Dec 27, 2017 3:32 pm

Thanks for the information. We found this Azure Stack and Veeam presentation from HPE which hinted support but with double asterisk which I assume is because of the manual restore method you have mentioned.

Source: https://www.slideshare.net/LaiYoongSeng ... zure-stack

Hopefully there will be announcement regarding support soon.
wandersick
Novice

Veeam Logoby Mike Resseler » Tue Jan 02, 2018 7:31 am 1 person likes this post

Hi Wandersick,

This information is correct, but as the asterisks state... There is manual work that need to be performed at that moment (one possibility is what Anthony states above). You are absolutely right that Veeam won't stop there with the support, but there are quite some key features in Stack missing which we normally leverage. I can't give any ETA nor tell you what exactly we are building, but I do can tell you that we won't "forget" about Azure stack :-)
Mike Resseler
Veeam Software

Liked: 477 times
Location: Belgium, the land of the fries, the beer, the chocolate and the diamonds...
Full Name: Mike Resseler

Return to Veeam Tools for Microsoft Azure