Veeam Endpoint Backup in Azure

Direct Restore to Microsoft Azure | VeeamPN software-defined networking

Veeam Endpoint Backup in Azure

Veeam Logoby 4kusnik » Sun May 13, 2018 10:25 am

HI All,

Brief background: I have several virtual servers in Azure, but unfortunately IaaS provides very limited options for backup. To be more precise I can configure backup of virtual servers in Azure only on a daily basis whereas backup of on-premises virtual machines is performed every 3 hours. Yes, I know that backup of virtual machines in Azure on files level can be taken 3 times per day, but this doesn't meet my requirements.

As far as I understand Veeam Endpoint Backup can satisfy my tasks. I just need to create a virtual machine + virtual disk for repository. Then I need to install Veeam agents on virtual servers and configure backup jobs.

However, it is not very clear how I will restore a virtual machine should failure happen. As far as I know I have to boot from recovery disk on a failed virtual server, and there is no option to select media (like in Hyper-V virtual machine settings) in Azure.

I would highly appreciate if someone could shed some light on how to restore virtual machines in Azure using Veeam Endpoint Backup.
Regards,
4kusnik
4kusnik
Lurker

Liked: never

Re: Veeam Endpoint Backup in Azure

Veeam Logoby PTide » Fri May 18, 2018 3:44 pm

Hi,

There are actually two options to restore your backup to Azure:

1. Utilize Restore to Azure function
2. Attach fresh virtual disk to another VM, spin up Endpoint on that VM and restore to the empty volume. After that reattach the restored volume to another VM.

Thanks
PTide
Veeam Software

Liked: 341 times

Veeam Logoby 4kusnik » Sat Jun 02, 2018 11:22 am

Hi PTide,

Thank you for your reply.

In case something happens with virtual machine (not some file is deleted accidentally but the operating system fails to start or smth like that) will I be able to restore it using the second methof you advised?

Regards
Regards,
4kusnik
4kusnik
Lurker

Liked: never

Veeam Logoby PTide » Sat Jun 02, 2018 12:06 pm

Right, you wil be able to do so. The method that I've described is basically a manual version of what VBR does in method #1 (in case you don't use VBR). You just restore the OS disk using Endpoint installed on a helper VM. After that you replace the failed disk on the original VM with the restored one.

Thanks
PTide
Veeam Software

Liked: 341 times

Return to Veeam Tools for Microsoft Azure