Veeam FastSCP as replication

Direct Restore to Microsoft Azure | Free, secure file copy for Microsoft Azure VMs

Veeam FastSCP as replication

Veeam Logoby nilzor » Wed Mar 09, 2016 8:45 pm

Hi,

I am planning to run a copy of my instance of Veeam on a VM in Azure.
My idea is to use FastSCP to upload my backups top the VM instance and maintain a copy of my on-premise environment.
Would that be a feasible solution? I understand i'd be able to do file level restores from within my Azure Veeam machine?
What would be the draw backs?

Thanks,
Nilzor
nilzor
Novice

Liked: never

Re: Veeam FastSCP as replication

Veeam Logoby Mike Resseler » Thu Mar 10, 2016 7:14 am 1 person likes this post

Hi Nilzor,

Let me see if I understand it correctly. You want to run a Veeam Back & Replication server in a VM on Azure.

I assume you have B&R running on-premises who is taking the backups. Then you want to (on a schedule probably) upload the VBK to that Azure VM and if necessary do a ILR from that VM. Is that correct?

This is certainly theoretically possible but don't know if this is going to be the most effective solution.

I would prefer for this scenario to create a vpn-connection to your Azure subscription and then do a backup copy job to the B&R Azure VM Repository. Even take advantage of the WAN accelerators in our solution

Mike
Mike Resseler
Veeam Software

Liked: 362 times
Location: Belgium, the land of the fries, the beer, the chocolate and the diamonds...
Full Name: Mike Resseler

Veeam Logoby nilzor » Fri Mar 11, 2016 6:01 pm

Hi Mike,

Can I take advantage of the WAN acceleration without using a cloud connect service provider?
My goal is to be able to restore from azure without downloading the entire vbk file.

Thanks,
Nils
nilzor
Novice

Liked: never

Veeam Logoby Mike Resseler » Sat Mar 12, 2016 12:17 am

Hi Nils,

If you deploy a repository in a VM on Azure, and also deploy the WAN accelerator role on it, then yes you can. In that case, you would also be able to restore items without downloading the VBK

Cheers

Mike
Mike Resseler
Veeam Software

Liked: 362 times
Location: Belgium, the land of the fries, the beer, the chocolate and the diamonds...
Full Name: Mike Resseler

Return to Veeam Tools for Microsoft Azure