Direct Restore to Microsoft Azure | VeeamPN software-defined networking
DaStivi
Service Provider
Liked: 11 times
Full Name: Stephan Lang

Veeam PN Site to Site Question

Post by DaStivi » Feb 07, 2019 2:49 pm

Hello there,
would it be possible to use VeeamPN Appliances in the "site-to-site" Mode, to connect some machines residing in a Special "remote site" to a central site, but without different ip adressing scheme? (like a layer 2 Connection, Network bridging -> luca once recommended tinc to use for such usecase, but if Veeam PN can do this to?!)

basically i Need an permanent VPN Tunnel for ah transparent Connection to some machines that resides in a remote site, Pretty similiar like the Veeam Cloud connect replica partial Failover and the Network extensions… but as explained the tunnel should be Always up, not just when running replica Failover!

thx

anthonyspiteri79
Veeam Software
Liked: 139 times
Full Name: Anthony Spiteri

Re: Veeam PN Site to Site Question

Post by anthonyspiteri79 » Feb 07, 2019 4:06 pm

Hey there. At the moment with the current version we don't offer layer2 connectivity so you will need to consider overlapping IPs.
Anthony Spiteri
Global Technologist, Product Strategy | VMware vExpert
Email: anthony.spiteri@veeam.com | Mobile: +61488335699
Twitter: @anthonyspiteri | Skype: anthony_spiteri

DaStivi
Service Provider

Post by DaStivi » Feb 19, 2019 1:26 pm

hey there again!
a couple of more Questions raised while testing…

i've added ah 2nd nic to the veeamhub machine, as i would like to act this Thing as a Gateway router… propaply no real layer2 Connection is required… (veeamhub is in DMZ, and i Need an vpn Connection in an different vlan 2nd nic)

but as soon as i add the 2nd interface an configure ip Settings the veeamhub Service won't start anymore, /var/log/Veeam/veeampn/vpn_svc.log.txt Shows me: "[error] <EXCEPTION> GLOBAL: too many Adapters has been retured: ens160, ens192"

i've digged through the vpn_svc.cfg file, but didn't find any paramter on how to bind the Service to ah specific interface... :( is there any Parameter?
thx

anthonyspiteri79
Veeam Software
Liked: 139 times
Full Name: Anthony Spiteri

Post by anthonyspiteri79 » Feb 20, 2019 3:40 am

Hey there... I think what you are running into are unsupported configurations for VeeamPN and what you are doing is now is basically configuring the OpenVPN sever we leverage...changes to this are causing issues with VeeamPN.
Anthony Spiteri
Global Technologist, Product Strategy | VMware vExpert
Email: anthony.spiteri@veeam.com | Mobile: +61488335699
Twitter: @anthonyspiteri | Skype: anthony_spiteri

DaStivi
Service Provider

Post by DaStivi » Feb 20, 2019 2:18 pm

ok, then back to the supported config… what i found out is that when only configuring the remote site as Client configuration, the central site can route to the remote site but not vice versa…
this started to work when adding an route to the remote site veeamPN appliance…

but what i found out a few minutes ago, that every "Client Network" thats configured is in the veeamhub central appliance is routed on the remote/Client appliances automatically…

in the "How to Set Up VPN Between Remote Sites" Documentation, this is not stated anywhere or did i overread this??

DaStivi
Service Provider

Post by DaStivi » Feb 20, 2019 3:43 pm

and hi again…
i'm currently testing this Thing a bit with high Network traffic…

and it Looks like, as the veeamPN uses OpenVPN we're hitting some OpenVPN issues with encryption…
https://community.openvpn.net/openvpn/w ... orks_Linux

i only get 650KBps (600KB/s) out from my 200Mbit Line... while having 1Gbit in the central site!

AVasilyev
Veeam Software
Liked: 12 times

Post by AVasilyev » Feb 20, 2019 5:18 pm

Hi Stephan!

You are correct about the assumption that OpenVPN is the limiting factor here. That's why we decided to change site-to-site VPN type to another secure and scalable VPN transport.
Currently the next version is in testing - it shows very nice performance results.

Point-to-site connections remain OpenVPN based for better interoperability.

AVasilyev
Veeam Software

Post by AVasilyev » Feb 20, 2019 5:26 pm 1 person likes this post

And for your question about the need for an additional routing record - there is an option in HUB (central site) Clients -> Add wizard - it is called "HUB site". It is specifically for your scenario.
When you add this type of client the routing record to route traffic from remote to central site will be added automatically.

Thank you for noticing the glitch in the documentation. We will update the doc and add this step.

DaStivi
Service Provider

Post by DaStivi » Feb 21, 2019 8:00 am

AVasilyev wrote:
Feb 20, 2019 5:18 pm
Hi Stephan!

You are correct about the assumption that OpenVPN is the limiting factor here. That's why we decided to change site-to-site VPN type to another secure and scalable VPN transport.
Currently the next version is in testing - it shows very nice performance results.

Point-to-site connections remain OpenVPN based for better interoperability.
hey thats not good to hear :(
i've tested with the openVPN Options from the link... but didn't got the Performance more than the 5-700KBps :(

is it possible to get the beta Version of the next appliance?

DaStivi
Service Provider

Post by DaStivi » Feb 21, 2019 1:14 pm

another update from me...

my workload (NetApp snapmirror) thats running over the vpn tunnel doesn't like the UDP Default Connection of the veeamPN appliance… as soon as i Change to TCP for the VPN Connection the traffic max out the ISP...

i've double checked with UDP COnnection and iperf… i can then got more than my 700KB/s that i saw while NetApp snapmirroring…

we saw retransmissions in NetApp Monitoring while snapmirror Transfer is running… it Looks like NetApp is trying to max out the Connection to 1gbit or 10gbit.. but the tunnel doesn't hold up that request and then NetApp decreases the transmit window sizes in some Point... at least this is what i imagine happens when using udp as tunnel protocol..

AVasilyev
Veeam Software

Post by AVasilyev » Feb 22, 2019 5:20 pm

Stephan,

As soon as our QA would give as a green light for the beta I'll share bits with you!
Thank you for sharing these interesting details with us - hopefully next version will show even better performance!

Alexey