Direct Restore to Microsoft Azure | VeeamPN software-defined networking
DDIT
Expert
Liked: 20 times
Full Name: Michael Yorke

VeeamPN: Hub to Hub??

Post by DDIT » Aug 12, 2019 10:58 am

Hi,

I want to test a VeeamPN deployment to connect 4 sites. Due to reasons/limitations of geography and connectivity, I need to chain the sites together, rather than have a hub/spoke.

Office A (site gateway) >>> Office B (Hub) <<< >>> Office C (Hub) <<< Office D (site gateway)

Is this possible? Can I connect a hub to a hub? Or is there another way to achieve this using VeeamPN?

Thanks in advance.

absent
Veeam Software
Liked: never
Full Name: Andrey Zhelezko

Re: VeeamPN: Hub to Hub??

Post by absent » Aug 12, 2019 3:56 pm

Hi Michael,
Utilize one the offices as a main site (put Hub into it) and the rest will be linked to the main (and between each other) via 3 site gateways.

DDIT
Expert

Post by DDIT » Aug 12, 2019 4:03 pm

@absent, thanks, but isn't that then just a hub/spoke setup?

Re my diagram, I specifically need to just connect site D to only connect to site C, and let C pass traffic for D onto B. Its the same in the opposite direction. A should only connect to B, and B should pass traffic for A onto C.

This is due to geography and latency issues between each region where this is being deployed.
Thanks.

absent
Veeam Software
Liked: never
Full Name: Andrey Zhelezko

Post by absent » Aug 13, 2019 9:44 am

@DDIT, put geography and latency aside, do you specifically not want site A to see site D? Or that's not an issue at all? Have you thought about introducing firewall into the system if that's the case?

DDIT
Expert

Post by DDIT » Aug 13, 2019 11:04 am

Actually the overall goal is to connect site A to D and have traffic flow between these sites.

However, if I connected A directly to D the latency and throughput would be awful, for reasons mentioned above. The best route between A and D, is via B and C.

A has and high-throughput, low latency path to B.
B has and high-throughput, low latency path to C.
C has and high-throughput, low latency path to D.

I hope this makes sense.

DDIT
Expert

Re: VeeamPN: Hub to Hub?? [revised question]

Post by DDIT » Aug 14, 2019 3:52 pm

Ok. So, because this doesn't look possible, I'm changing my setup...

It now looks like this

A --- [Meraki AutoVPN] --- B

B (site gateway) --- C (hub) --- D (site gateway)

So now, B, C & D are setup in VeeamPN as a regular hub/spoke configuration. This is fine and traffic flows both ways. Great.

However, I need to be able to route traffic from A to the other sites (B is automatically taken care of with the AutoVPN, C is just a hub and has no endpoints, D is really where traffic needs to be sent/received with A)

I seemingly have everything setup correctly on ther Meraki side; static route added on A, saying to get to D the next hop is B. I assue the VeeamPN appliance at B needs to be confiugred to accept and forward traffic from A, but I can't find where this is setup.

The wireguard interface is not in the typical location of /etc/wireguard/wg0.conf so I don't know what to hack to get this to work. Can someone from Veeam help??