VeeamPN Setup

Direct Restore to Microsoft Azure | Free, secure file copy for Microsoft Azure VMs

VeeamPN Setup

Veeam Logoby quiggley » Thu Aug 10, 2017 1:01 pm

OK. I am not an expert at, or even reasonably skilled at, VPN setups. I have setup the VeeamPN hub in my Azure environment. I have setup the gateway on premise. I can see in the monitoring that they seem to be talking.

My Azure network is 10.0.0.x. My on premise network is 10.10.10.x. I can't seem to figure out the remaining steps to get machines talking between the two. I was trying to setup a Site-to-Site VPN.

I tried to setup a Point-to-Site by installing the OpenVPN client on the actual VBR server that is on premise. I imported the config file. All seemed to work. I hit connect and got a 10.9.0 address I think it was. Still no connectivity to anything in Azure.

It seems most documents I find are step-by-step on certain parts but assume you know they rest to setup.

Does anyone know of a document that covers the step-by-step after you have the hub and gateway setup?
quiggley
Certified Trainer

Liked: never
Full Name: Just Me

Re: Setup Guide

Veeam Logoby quiggley » Fri Aug 11, 2017 12:25 pm

Would love to use it. I can't find any instructions for how to make it work. The only doco I can find seems to cover only up to the point that that two (hub and gateway) are talking. After that, you are on your own. Seems there are a couple steps after that you would need to accomplish to make things work. Anyone know what they are?
quiggley
Certified Trainer

Liked: never
Full Name: Just Me

Re: VeeamPN Setup

Veeam Logoby AVasilyev » Fri Aug 11, 2017 2:28 pm

Quiuggley,

Thank you for pointing out improvements which we can do in the documentation!

I suppose you finished at the point like in this how-to: https://helpcenter.veeam.com/docs/veeampn/userguide/how_to_azure_and_endpoint.html?ver=10
So when you got connected with OpenVPN on your desktop you should be able to access to all Azure-based VMs which are connected to the same virtual network as you deployed VeeamPN appliance.
Please make sure that you are accessing VMs in the network highlighted above.

If you wish to establish site-to-site connectivity with help of OVA based on-prem appliance you should take additional steps in your local site network. There are two possible ways - first is to add additional routing rules on your local gateway to route all traffic to Azure VMs subnet (in your case 10.0.0.0/24) to VeeamPN local appliance. The second, easier way is to use IP Translation as explained in the guide: https://helpcenter.veeam.com/docs/veeampn/userguide/configure_translation_rules.html?ver=10

Thank you,
Alexey
AVasilyev
Veeam Software

Liked: 3 times

Return to Veeam Tools for Microsoft Azure