Simplify and orchestrate VPN networking and configuration tasks.
david.brunner
Novice
Liked: never
Full Name: David Brunner

VPN working, DNS and timezone problem

Post by david.brunner »

Dear forum members,

this is my first post here, so first of all greetings from my side and also a happy new year :-)

UPDATE:
If this is the same issue as veeam-tools-for-microsoft-azure-f36/vee ... 43414.html and https://helpcenter.veeam.com/docs/veeam ... tml?ver=21, then I apologize for opening another thread. I will look into these links.

I know Veeam Software (B&R or Availability Suite) from my past job, where I was using it as an operator.
Now I am Administrator in a new company and we also use Veeam (such coincidence :-) ) für Backups of vsphere. And maybe more will follow.

I now set up Veeam PN to use as additional VPN (alongside Citrix Xenapp) for HomeOffice Usage.
Most settings were done via GUI, but I had to make a static IP entry on the console. I first applied the settings here: /etc/netplan/01-netcfg.yaml
but also following the instructions in KB2708 in /etc/network/interfaces
Currently only Point-to-Site is configured (single Clients connect to the company Onsite Network) with a single, standalone client and a Hub Network

It is working when I connect to the IP Address of my PC (via RDP) :-) :-).
However, DNS is not - I cannot resolve any server name, for instance.

In the GUI in Settings - DNS - "No DNS" is shown

Additionally, on the lower left-hand side it says "No data available: Performance data is not available: check if time zone is correct"

Via sudo dpkg-reconfigure tzdata the correct timezone (Europe / Vienna) was set and correctly shown.
Of Course, the VM was rebootet multiple times already.

Am I missing something crucial? I do not want to mention the public IP here, but of course I can provide further data.

thank you very much in advance for help!

best regards,
David

david.brunner
Novice
Liked: never
Full Name: David Brunner

Re: VPN working, DNS and timezone problem

Post by david.brunner »

The Problem with DNS resolution was resolved!

Using the Ubuntu OVA template, this I had to to:

nano /etc/veeampn/EndpointOVPN.cfg

push "dhcp-option DNS 10.xxx.xxx.xxx"
push "dhcp-option DNS 10.xxx.xxx.xxx"
push "dhcp-option domain.local"

(replaced with dummy values)

But it still says "No DNS" and also the timezone "problem" still exists - does anyone have an idea?

d.mauri
Novice
Liked: 1 time
Full Name: Davide Mauri

Re: VPN working, DNS and timezone problem

Post by d.mauri »

Hello David,
I usually install VeeamPN manually in Ubuntu, and I can confirm that timezones different from UTC break performance data. I am Italian, so I usually tend to configure tzdata with Euprope/Rome, but with VeeamPN servers I have to switch to UTC to have performance data appear.

I also confirm your findings for the DNS settings, I heavily rely on them in my setups. Also, bonus point: if you have services which only accept user access from the corporate IP, you can also push routes to your clients like so:

Code: Select all

push "route 1.2.3.4 255.255.255.255" # Some service
VeeamPN tunnels them for you.

Best regards.

Davide Mauri