Comprehensive data protection for all workloads
corbitech
Influencer
Liked: 5 times
Full Name: Ashok Kumar

Backups to a "set" of rotated drives?

Post by corbitech »

I've been reading about Veeam backups to a repository consisting of rotated drives, but I'm still fuzzy on how exactly that works (and what limitations might exist). Based on my reading so far, I couldn't determine if it would be possible to span backups across multiple drives in a JBOD enclosure and rotate them as a "set".

EXAMPLE (SIMPLIFIED):

Assume a JBOD enclosure contains 4 drive bays and each bay contains a 6TB hard drive (total combined storage capacity = 24 TB). The drives are NOT in a RAID array. Rather, they're 4 independent drives of 6 TB each. Initially I'd like to back up 20 TB of data to this first set of 4 drives, and then later swap them out for a second set of 4 drives (while placing the first set of 4 drives in an off-site location).

Can this be done using Veeam's backup to rotated drives functionality? If yes, would Veeam automatically handle the distribution of 20 TB of data across the 6TB "boundary" between drives or is that something I'd have to manage manually?
DGrinev
Veteran
Liked: 247 times
Full Name: Dmitry Grinev

Re: Backups to a "set" of rotated drives?

Post by DGrinev » 1 person likes this post

Hi Ashok,

You can't instruct Veeam to automatically distribute 20TB backup across the 6TB "boundary" with rotated drives, you should present combined storage capacity as a single drive\partition manually.
If you want to utilize automatic distribution with Veeam, you can look at the Scale-Out Backup Repository functionality, however, it can't be switched to work with rotated drives. Thanks!
corbitech
Influencer
Liked: 5 times
Full Name: Ashok Kumar

Post by corbitech »

I believe my RAID controller has the ability to aggregate the 4X 6 TB drives into a single 24 TB "JBOD array" that is presented as a single volume to the OS. Could I use this method, and then swap out the entire set as described previously?
DGrinev
Veteran
Liked: 247 times
Full Name: Dmitry Grinev

Post by DGrinev »

Yes, it looks like the infrastructure you've described fits the requirements for a repository with rotated drives mode. Thanks!