Comprehensive data protection for all workloads
averylarry
Veteran
Liked: 30 times
Full Name: Ted

Are there advanced vbk file recovery tools?

Post by averylarry »

Support case 03090682

reverse incremental.
I expanded a virtual disk (VMware) on a VM that is backed up by Veeam.
I ran a backup of the VM with the expanded virtual disk.
I ran out of storage space on my backup repository (backup job failed).
Now when I run the backup job it fails at "Rolling back changes made by incomplete job run" (it takes about a minute to fail).
Support ran backup validator and it says the backup file is valid.
Support suggested running a health check in the job, so I enabled the option. The next backup failed to roll back changes (as expected) and then claims that the health check completed without errors in 18 seconds. Then it goes on and tries to do the backup which fails with "a file system limitation".

At this point, I cannot do a backup. I cannot do a restore from this backup chain. My only options (as far as I can tell) are to repair/recover/fix the current backup chain OR delete it and start over.

My *real* question is if it is worth trying to escalate my support case? Are there any advanced file repair tools? My gut tells me that the expanded virtual disk is the reason why it's failing to roll back changes from the incomplete job run, which seems like something that could just maybe be fixed. (Yes, I know that the file could be corrupt and un-repairable. I have, however, ran out of disk space in the past and been able to rollback changes which is why I think the virtual disk expansion is making the issue worse.)
csydas
Expert
Liked: 47 times
Full Name: Harvey Carel

Re: Are there advanced vbk file recovery tools?

Post by csydas »

Hey Ted,

What kind of storage are you on? The message about file-system limitations typically are straight from Windows, not from Veeam, and we bumped into this craziness with ext3 partitions on a storage pool. Ext3 has a 2 TiB file size limit by default and this related to Veeam because if your backup file gets close to 2 TiB, the merging process exceeds the ext3 limit.

Based on your description, you probably just are bumping against your storages' file system limit with regards to the File System Limitation message.

My experience has been just try an instant recovery or file level restore quick from the full backup and see what you can do, and if it works, just start a new backup set and keep the old full backup along as you want.
averylarry
Veteran
Liked: 30 times
Full Name: Ted

Post by averylarry »

Never mind. I called Tech support early this morning and after a few non-productive minutes they promised a call back later today. They did not call back. I cannot wait any longer. I have to delete the backup and start over.
foggy
Veeam Software
Liked: 2115 times
Full Name: Alexander Fogelson

Post by foggy »

averylarry wrote:I ran out of storage space on my backup repository (backup job failed).
Now when I run the backup job it fails at "Rolling back changes made by incomplete job run" (it takes about a minute to fail).
Have you added space to repository prior to running the job after the first failure?