Backup of NAS, file shares, file servers and object storage.
evander
Enthusiast
Liked: 6 times

Multiple Backup Jobs against same NAS File share

Post by evander »

Hi, as I understand it, with VMware type backups you can run multiple backup jobs that may include the same VM and Veeam will handle the change tracking on each job well so there is no issues.
I just want to be sure that's still the case on NAS SMB file share backups? Can I run multiple backup jobs against the same NAS share and each one will do its own change tracking?
Mildur
Product Manager
Liked: 2317 times
Full Name: Fabian K.

Re: Multiple Backup Jobs against same NAS File share

Post by Mildur »

Hello Evander

Yes, you can. Each job gets it's own folder on the cache repository. A dedicated CRC tree for the share will be stored by each job in its job folder. The CRC tree is then used to determine changes between backup sessions from the same job.

Please be aware, each source File Share backup job will count towards your license consumption.
Example: If both jobs protect the same 1TB files and folders, you will require to license 2 TB (2 jobs * 1TB = 2 TB).

Best,
Fabian
Product Management Analyst @ Veeam Software
evander
Enthusiast
Liked: 6 times

Re: Multiple Backup Jobs against same NAS File share

Post by evander »

Thanks Fabian, that's both good and bad news. Good because you confirmed the individual change tracking works, but bad because of the license. In my case I am backing up 50+TB which is very expensive to license.

I prefer to do two backup jobs to two different repos as opposed to one backup and a copy of that backup because if the original repo is offline it breaks the whole backup routine. Like right now I have one repo that has has run out of disk space so any copy jobs against that are also now affected as I cant run the backup job until the space issue is resolved. If I had two independent backup jobs running I would have some redundancy in place. I still use the copy feature but as a secondary redundancy option to third repo.