PowerShell script exchange
can
Novice
Liked: never
Full Name: can bilgiç

veeam connect-vbrserver on linux devices and use veeam on backup powershell script run linux

Post by can »

I am trying to set up a structure as I mentioned in the title. Is it possible to run on backup server scripts on a Linux machine using a power shell and trigger backup jobs?
david.domask
Veeam Software
Liked: 346 times

Re: veeam connect-vbrserver on linux devices and use veeam on backup powershell script run linux

Post by david.domask »

Hi can, welcome to the forums.

Can you elaborate a bit more on what you're trying to accomplish?

Connect-VBRServer is meant for connecting to a remote VBR server, for example, if you have the remote console installed and want to run a scheduled script from the remote console, you would use Connect-VBRServer as your first action in the script.

1. Do you want to execute bash scripts on linux servers during the backup, for example before the snapshot and after to prepare an application for backup?
2. Do you want to manage your linux systems using powershell?
3. Other purpose?

Sorry just I'm not quite understanding the goal here so if you can share a bit more I can advise.
David Domask | Product Management: Principal Analyst
can
Novice
Full Name: can bilgiç

Re: veeam connect-vbrserver on linux devices and use veeam on backup powershell script run linux

Post by can »

I'm working on a project which intents to integrate Veeam File Level Backup Jobs for my own Third Party Application. So i can keep my backups as a file level backup on Veeam Backup Catalog.

Since i don't want to bother my client with configuration of Protection Groups, file paths and masks to include and exclude, I plan to manage my own Backup Jobs through PowerShell Extensions (I cannot use API, because it does only support Job Management for VMware related Backup configurations, correct me if I am wrong).
However, my application run on Linux System (Rocky Linux 9.x and RHEL 9.x) and i do not want to mess with the Customer's VBR environment for my own script packages.

As a result i see following options available :
* Design a Remote PowerShell Script call from Linux System and struggle with all the error handling issues through this remote calling method and also mess with the customer's VBR environment.
* Findout a way to install PowerShell Extension Modules on Powershell (which is installed on Linux System).

Note : I find out following thread, but it is a bit older. Is there any update on Linux support for PowerShell Extension Modules?
powershell-f26/veeam-11-powershell-module-t75710.html
oleg.feoktistov
Veeam Software
Liked: 636 times
Full Name: Oleg Feoktistov

Post by oleg.feoktistov »

Hi,

We have plans to support VBR powershell on linux, but no sooner than the next major product version.
Unfortunately, I cannot offer you any stable workaround to it at the moment. Even if you do manage to configure your powershell environment to start working with VBR module on linux (copy all the PS dependencies to a linux machine and install powershell core), there just are classes and namespaces that are missing in .NET Core, so you'll end up getting a bunch of dependency errors.
Tried that on Mac. The best platform-agnostic approach would be to use VBR REST API, but it doesn't offer agent management jobs support at the moment, unfortunately.

Best regards,
Oleg
david.domask
Veeam Software
Liked: 346 times

Post by david.domask »

Just out of curiosity can, what specifically do you need to protect? Are you doing some database backup locally and then capturing the output file of the backup?

Also, please bear with me, just want to try to help here, but why are machine backups (snapshot based or agent based) not preferable here? Basically can you describe your intended workflow a bit more and elaborate on why a snapshot based VM backup/Agent based backup isn't desirable? I just want to ensure I understand the intended workflow and limitations, as I am having trouble getting why we need Powershell here at all :)
David Domask | Product Management: Principal Analyst
ulgena
Lurker
Full Name: Anıl Ülgen

Re: Veeam Powershell Module Support for Linux

Post by ulgena »

Greetings,

The project mentioned above is related to integrating Veeam B&R product to our own Software-Defined Datacenter Platform solution which provides virtual machine and containerization services including SDN/CNI and SDS/CSI solutions. Data consists of Virtual Machine definitions, Virtual Disks, Container Volumes and etc.

We already applied for Technology Alliance Partnership and completed onboarding steps. However, couldn't receive any response regarding our intentions from Veeam Alliance teams (allianceprogram@veeam.com).

Therefore we are working on managing Veeam Backup Job and Restore features to be managed from our own Platform UI.
Basically can you describe your intended workflow a bit more and elaborate on why a snapshot based VM backup/Agent based backup isn't desirable?
  • Our platform provisioned on bare-metal servers.
  • We have our own SDDC architecture for keeping metadata for executions (VMs, Containers) and their related data
  • We have our own way of Storage and Snapshot features.
Above statements are enough to point that without assistance from Veeam, we are only able to apply a solution through Agent Backup Jobs, and they can only be managed through Powershell extensions.

Our intention is to develop an official or unofficial 3rd Party Module/Package to achieve a fully integrated solution with Veeam. Therefor we require a development guide to integrate modules for Veeam similar to Veeam Backup for RHV, Nutanix etc.