Host-based backup of VMware vSphere VMs.
RB316
Novice
Liked: never

Change replica VM disk target type

Post by RB316 »

Hi Everyone,

In a replica job, would anyone know how to change the disk type target from the default (thin)? Looking to change the default to “Thick Eagerzero”, or “Source”.

I see that you can change individual VM disk types under Pick a Datastore, however, because I’m using tags for VM population, the option to change the disk type for tags is not available.

I stumbled across this post:
powershell-f26/example-replica-vm-disk- ... 23725.html

I tried following the instructions in applying this logic to my multi-tag job, but I’m having no success. I’m getting stuck at the following because TargetDatastoreName and DiskDestination don’t exist:

$SelectedObjectInfo.ExtendedOptions.TargetOptions.TargetDatastoreName = $ds.Name
$SelectedObjectInfo.ExtendedOptions.TargetOptions.DiskDestination[0].TargetDatastoreName = $ds.Name

I suspect these options are not available in the newer releases of VBR? I’m currently using v12.

Any help would be appreciated! Thank you.
david.domask
Veeam Software
Liked: 350 times

Re: Change replica VM disk target type

Post by david.domask »

Hi RB316,

With tags and other hierarchy items, you need to first "add" the individual VMs from the hierarchy object container at the Destination page of the Replica Job Wizard:

Basically the container itself will go to the default, but you can add individual VMs to this window to change the settings, and shift+click and selecting the disks/datastore target will let you change in bulk.

I checked the powershell script quick and yeah, it's from 2014 and I suspect it's changed immensely internally since then; do you need to do this via Powershell or it was more just "any solution" sort of thing that you looked towards Powershell?

Try the above, it will do what you need; I will ask that we please add some small quality of life changes to UI/User Guide to make that more visible/obvious.
David Domask | Product Management: Principal Analyst
RB316
Novice
Liked: never

Post by RB316 »

Hi David,

Thank you for your reply.

I am aware that it’s possible to add VMs based on tag categories. However, correct me if I’m wrong, but doing it this way would still require someone to go back to this windowpane and change the disk type manually anytime new VMs are added to the replication job.

In our case, VMs are added to the replication job automatically through tags. If a system administrator indicates to have their VMs replicated, they would add the appropriate tag to their VM in vCenter.

What I would like to see is new VMs that get added to the replication job via tags automatically replicate with EagerZero Disk Type (or Source) as that would be our standard.

We have hundreds of VMs and I feel that manually making this change to each VM’s DiskType isn’t sustainable in the long run as it would require constant administration.

Perhaps, I’m just overly picky 😊.

Thank you for your help!

Rob
david.domask
Veeam Software
Liked: 350 times

Post by david.domask »

Hi Rob!

Not picky at all, just wanted to be sure you saw how to set the disk type there; my screenshots aren't about adding, it's about changing disk type specifically for when you add the VMs via tag, as you had written you didn't see how to do it.

For Powershell, give me a bit and I'll see if I can find what a new script would look like.
David Domask | Product Management: Principal Analyst