Discussions related to using object storage as a backup target.
raghavamsp
Lurker
Liked: never
Full Name: Raghava

Case #07269922 : Four times slow download speed from S3 when compare to upload speed

Post by raghavamsp »

Hi,

We are testing "Scale-Out Backup Repository feature ‘Capacity Tier’ to offload backups to Wasabi and then re-download them to the performance tier.".. we see that upload speed is really good but download is very slow.

Upload/Backup(On-Prem/Performance Tier) : 111MB/s (06min 12sec)

Copy to cloud/S3 Bucket via SOBR(from Performance Tier to Capacity Tier) : 74MB/s (05min 21sec)

Copy to On-prem from S3 Bucket (from Capacity Tier to Performance Tier : 17MB (16min 22sec)

So the question is why #3 is four times slower than #2..

We also tested the same case with AWS S3 and there also copy from S3 to on-prem is really slow.

So basically Veeam upload to S3 is faster but downloads are four times slower.. Looks like something wrong with download/restore process of Veeam or we are missing something.

We tested the same data set using some S3 client (aws-cli).. and we got upload/download speed same.

Please let me know if there is any resolution.

Thanks
david.domask
Veeam Software
Liked: 365 times

Re: Case #07269922 : Four times slow download speed from S3 when compare to upload speed

Post by david.domask »

Hi Raghava, welcome to the forums.

> " We tested the same data set using some S3 client (aws-cli).. and we got upload/download speed same."

Just to confirm, you were getting the same egress speeds (downloading from S3) with a 3rd party S3 client that you were getting in Veeam?

The difference in egress speeds is not entirely unexpected depending on the provider, and if the behavior is observable even when Veeam is not in the equation, I'm not confident that this means it's a Veeam related behavior, but let's wait for Support to review the information on the case; they will be able to discern a bit more from the logs and check if there are any unexpected behaviors there.
David Domask | Product Management: Principal Analyst
raghavamsp
Lurker
Liked: never
Full Name: Raghava

Re: Case #07269922 : Four times slow download speed from S3 when compare to upload speed

Post by raghavamsp »

Hi David,

That's right.. we are getting same upload and download speeds with 3rd party S3 clients.

I think as per my understanding; Veeam might be doing uploads with lots of parallel threads but download maybe doing in sequential.. that can definitely lead to 3x,4x slowness in download irrespective of S3 storage provider.
sfirmes
Veeam Software
Liked: 129 times
Full Name: Stephen Firmes

Post by sfirmes »

Raghava,

We use the same Backup Chain format for both offloads and downloads to/from object storage. So if you saw multiple offload sessions during your offload, you should expect the same parallelism with a download.

Typically the offload and download times are similar, so I don't have any insight into your issue.

Thanks

Steve
Senior Solutions Architect, Product Management - Alliances @ Veeam Software