Standalone backup agent for Microsoft Windows servers and workstations (formerly Veeam Endpoint Backup FREE)
Mordamir
Lurker
Liked: never

Veeam Agent + Nas Share: Backup creates new folder with _1

Post by Mordamir »

2024 and the problem still exists. But this may be caused by a wrong understanding of the backup root folder.
Our setup here is that we want to backup multiple computers to one single network share. In my naive understanding i would assume that every computer only reads his own backup job. But this is wrong. On start of a backup veeam backup scans all jobs in the given root folder in seach for the computers backup job. If now multiple computers try to backup at the same time, they are scanning only parts of the jobs (seen this in the samba logs), because another computer locks the job. Or maybe the backup finds its job, tries to write it back on network share and fails, because other computer is reading the file now.
Our current solution is to set a separate backup root folder per computer, so every backup process is only scanning for his own backup jobs.
Mildur
Product Manager
Liked: 2374 times
Full Name: Fabian K.

Re: Veeam Agent + Nas Share: Backup creates new folder with _1

Post by Mildur » 3 people like this post

Hello Mordamir

Welcome to the forum.
I assume your agents are not managed by a single Veeam Backup & Replication server. Therefore the agents are not aware from each other. Separate root folders per machine is a must.

From a security perspective I also recommend to use different shares with different access credentials. With a single network share, the enduser may be able to access backups from other machines and restore those data.

Best,
Fabian
Product Management Analyst @ Veeam Software
mradr
Novice
Liked: never

Re: Veeam Agent + Nas Share: Backup creates new folder with _1

Post by mradr »

Uh, why isnt it lock to the folder it creates though or at least pointed to? That doesnt seem right to me... that seems like a weird design from Veeam if that is true... I also assume this is what is being talk about:

I assume this is what the OP is saying? IF I am not correct, please correct me.

Root folder to me would be like:
point to > D:\NasDrive -> Veeam makes: D:\NasDrive\VeeamBackup
Veeam Makes Folder for job/computer -> D:\NasDrive\VeeamBackup\Job ComputerName
That client should only read D:\NasDrive\VeeamBackup\Job ComputerName now unless other wise pointed to a different direction for another job.

If Veeam is reading everything in D:\NasDrive\VeeamBackup per client, that seems really silly programming there? IF so, no wonder there are issues going on with this design. What reason would the need to scan outside of its folder be if you dont mind me asking?