Discussions related to using object storage as a backup target.
AlertSistem
Influencer
Liked: never
Full Name: Mike Oldfield

tape backup

Post by AlertSistem »

I'm using HP StoreOnce to backup virtual machine of datacenter that is a dedicated storage.
I have tape library (48 tapes lto-8) and I thought to use to Veeam "next to" StoreOnce, that is as secondary backup device.
What do you think about Tape as backup target ? It's obsolete ? It's a long term support and I'd like backup vm only 2 twice in a year e.g. web server or machines which are not susceptible to recurring changes. I think tape It's a right secondary medium of backup.
I'm interesting to your opinion.
Can Veeam manage both disks library and tapes library?
Could a foreign attack take control of Veeam software and read/write tapes ? Or Veaam Sowftare protects tapes with security rules or It's security mechanism to protect tapes backup from external attack ?
karsten123
Service Provider
Liked: 93 times
Full Name: Karsten Meja

Re: tape backup

Post by karsten123 »

3-2-1. Better copy at least once a day
Regnor
VeeaMVP
Liked: 298 times
Full Name: Max

Re: tape backup

Post by Regnor » 1 person likes this post

You shouldn't rely on a single storage device. Just like Karsten writes, 3-2-1 is the rule to follow; 3 copies of your data, 2 different media and 1 off-site. In addition at least 1 copy should be air-gapped and/or immutable.
Copies should also be created regularly. Twice a year doesn't make much sense in my opinion, as you wouldn't want to restore your systems with half a year data loss.

Tape is still a valid backup target, but you should remove them regularly from your library. If an attacker can access your library, he/she could just delete your tapes and therefore your backups.

Regarding the StoreOnce. If your firmware supports it I would recommend to implement immutable backups, so that an attacker cannot easily wipe your backup files.
Read (and restore) performance can be negatively impacted by deduplication. That's why you should perform regular restore tests to validate that your SLAs can be achieved.