Comprehensive data protection for all workloads
matteu
Veeam Legend
Liked: 122 times

Veeam and remote SQL

Post by matteu »

Hello,

I'm going to install Veeam with remote SQL (migration to postgre is planned for later).
However there is something I don't understand on the doc.
It's recommended to use local system as service account for veeam but this account must have db_owner rights for the configuration database.

How to do this when we are using workgroup ?
I will not be able to add the computername (=localsystem) on SSMS to grant permission. I can only use SQL local account to connect to the instance and grant permission but this is not compliant with "service account need right on database". How to achieve it ?
Mildur
Product Manager
Liked: 2377 times
Full Name: Fabian K.

Re: Veeam and remote SQL

Post by Mildur »

Hi Matteu

Local system only works if the MSSQL is installed on the same machine.
In your case, use "LOCAL SYSTEM" for the Veeam services and use SQL user authentification to connect to the remote SQL server.
I can only use SQL local account to connect to the instance and grant permission but this is not compliant with "service account need right on database".
The service account doesn't need permission to the database if you use SQL user authentification. Where did you find that information?

Best,
Fabian
Product Management Analyst @ Veeam Software
matteu
Veeam Legend
Liked: 122 times

Re: Veeam and remote SQL

Post by matteu »

Hello,

Thanks for your answer.
Yes I understand for local system it work only if SQL on the same system and this is the reason I open this post :)

Here : https://helpcenter.veeam.com/docs/backu ... ml?ver=120

The user name of the custom account must be specified in the DOMAIN\USERNAME format and have the following rights and permissions:
The account must have db_owner rights for the configuration database.

And if the service account is local system, this is not possible. I think maybe the documentation could be more precised about it's not needed if native sql authentication is used...