Host-based backup of VMware vSphere VMs.
fluxblocker
Novice
Liked: 1 time
Full Name: Samuel L Sanders Jr

00386710 Backing up your Veeam Server

Post by fluxblocker »

I know Veeam has a feature to back up the configuration, but what if you wanted to use a 3rd-party app to backup the entire Veeam server? Has anyone ever tried to use AppAssure to back up a Veeam Server? This is probably a poor way to do it. It would probably take less time to just install the server from scratch and install the software and then restore the configuration from a backup.

If AppAssure would let you back up the system partition and the C drive only, it would not take long at all. I have the repository on a separate volume - call it the D drive. It takes forever to back up the drive with the repository, but only a few minutes to back up the part I am concerned with which is the C drive and the system partition. I guess because the files (on the drive with the repository) are already compressed, and perhaps in a format that AppAssure either doesn't recognize, or tries to compress or de-dupe but can't. I need to try some different settings and see if I can turn off de-dupe and/or compression just for this job. It takes it 24 hours to back up the repository of 1.1 TB and 20 minutes to back up the C drive and the System Partition. Our Veeam server is Windows 2012 R2 with the latest build of Veeam 8. The AppAssure server runs on Windows 2008 R2. We use Veeam to back up all our virtual machines but use AppAssure to back up the physical servers. I like Veeam much better than AppAssure, but AppAssure does a decent job on physical servers. It is much slower than Veeam but it gets the job done. Anyway, I just wondered if anyone had even used AppAssure to back up their Veeam server, assuming the Veeam server was a physical server. If so, did you find any good ways to speed up the process.

Many thanks,
Sam
Support ID 00386710
Vitaliy S.
VP, Product Management
Liked: 2720 times
Full Name: Vitaliy Safarov

Re: 00386710 Backing up your Veeam Server

Post by Vitaliy S. »

Hi Sam,

I cannot comment on the AppAssure slow processing rate, but If your Veeam backup server is physical, then you can try to back it up with Veeam Endpoint and see how it goes > Backing up Veeam 8.x backup server with endpoint backup?

Thanks!
lowlander
Service Provider
Liked: 30 times

Re: 00386710 Backing up your Veeam Server

Post by lowlander »

Hi Sam,

When using a physical Veeam server you can opt using the Windows Backup feature in Windows (after enable this feature). By writing this file to an alternate location than the physical host you can ensure protection of this server.

Joep