Host-based backup of VMware vSphere VMs.
ousturali
Influencer
Liked: 1 time
Full Name: OrcunUsturali

1 vm ,take 2 different backup and 2 different repository

Post by ousturali »

Hi to all

I have a question about 1 vm backup, Can we take 2 different backups from 1 vm , to 2 different repositories?

I dont want to use "BACKUP COPY" ,

we use 1 repository for IMMUTABLE backups, and i want to use 1 repository for normal backups, that is why i ask

Thanks
foggy
Veeam Software
Liked: 2115 times
Full Name: Alexander Fogelson

Re: 1 vm ,take 2 different backup and 2 different repository

Post by foggy »

Hi Orcun, typically backup copy is what should be used in this case but if you for some reason do not want to use it, you can have two regular backup jobs pointing to two different repositories. No issues with that other than hitting the same production VM twice.
ousturali
Influencer

Post by ousturali »

Thank you Foggy

the main reason for asking this question is that, we take backups locally with IMMUTABLE repository, and nowadays we had agreed with a cloud provider that we will run the backup copy job from the Immutable repository to the cloud.But it fails,
when we do the same for non Immutable repository for different vms, it successfully transfer the files.

to solve that problem, we thought of this way .
thanks for the answer Foggy
foggy
Veeam Software

Post by foggy »

If the reason for the failure is access control, it might be an easy fix. But you have the workaround anyway.
ousturali
Influencer

Post by ousturali »

the error we got is as below

"Your service provider has implemented backup files protection against deletion by an insider for this cloud repository. To protect against advanced attack vectors, we recommend that you configure your cloud backup jobs to keep multiple full backups on disk (as opposed to forever-incremental chain with a single full backup)."

What do you think with this.? Our local repository is IMMUTABLE,the backup copy tries to copy the data to the IMMUTABLE repository but fails with above error
foggy
Veeam Software

Post by foggy »

To me, this message talks about the backup chain format on the backup copy target repository, not any kind of restriction related to the source. and shouldn't fail the job itself. If you see different behavior, I'd advise contacting support for a closer look. Thanks!
ousturali
Influencer

Post by ousturali »

Thanks foggy

we are in touch with them also, today they had responded back with a solution that ,the linux proxy machine needs to talk with internet and with some of their servers.
we will try to arrange those requirements ,

anyway thanks a lot for your suggestions and help

regards