Host-based backup of VMware vSphere VMs.
m1kkel
Enthusiast
Liked: 1 time
Full Name: Mikkel Nielsen

10GbE extra network fraom primary repo to copy repo

Post by m1kkel »

Hi Guys.

Technical question.

I have 2 repositories - they are both physical windows server 2012R2 boxes with jbods. The primary repository is also my proxy, and is connected to my 3par san via FC Hba.

I am having issues with my copy job, it wont process all my vm's within it's timeframe (1 GbE network).

So, i was thinking of adding a 10 GbE nic to each server, and connect theese two on a isolated lan point to point without switch.

Question is - will Veeam be able to move the data via the backup copy job, via this 10 GbE link? It is not connected to the rest of my network, so my backup server (virtual machine) will not know it's ip address on the isolated lan..
foggy
Veeam Software
Liked: 2115 times
Full Name: Alexander Fogelson

Re: 10GbE extra network fraom primary repo to copy repo

Post by foggy »

I guess you will be able to do this with the help of preferred networks.
m1kkel
Enthusiast
Full Name: Mikkel Nielsen

Post by m1kkel »

I just love veeam!

I will give it a try - what do others do in their datacenters? I doubt that most have 10 GbE intrastructure yet..
MP230
Influencer

Post by MP230 »

Allthough we got almost everything on a 10GbE infrastructure, we still separete production traffic from backup traffic. If your backup server (your vm) would have one vnic connected to the isolated network you want to use, you could simply add a DNS record for the interface / ip on the isolated network of the repo and add that repo in veeam as the destination for the copy job Since the DNS record points to the ip on the isolated interface and the second repo also has a nic with corresponding ip in the same subnet it will (and has to, if not routed) use the 10GbE interface of the isolated network.

That´s how we solved it back when we started with backup copy jobs.

Regards

MP
wilkins44
Enthusiast
Liked: 5 times
Full Name: Jay Wilkins

Post by wilkins44 » 2 people like this post

MP230 wrote:If your backup server (your vm) would have one vnic connected to the isolated network you want to use, you could simply add a DNS record for the interface / ip on the isolated network of the repo and add that repo in veeam as the destination for the copy job Since the DNS record points to the ip on the isolated interface and the second repo also has a nic with corresponding ip in the same subnet it will (and has to, if not routed) use the 10GbE interface of the isolated network.
This is how we have been doing it as well. In both of our Veeam environments, we've got 10Gb NICs installed on our Veeam servers, and the repos have been added by both the production network DNS name and by the 10Gb network DNS name. Then in all of our jobs, we've only got the 10Gb DNS repo names as repo targets.
larry
Veteran
Liked: 97 times
Full Name: Larry Walker

Post by larry »

We do like wilkin44 does and it works. Be sure every thing has a 10 gig name, proxy, repositories and target. On backup copy job also have a ten gig name for a source.