8.0 - Disable VMware Tools not found warning

VMware specific discussions

Re: 8.0 - Disable VMware Tools not found warning

Veeam Logoby foggy » Mon Oct 19, 2015 12:58 pm

Steven, please let support take a look at your setup.
foggy
Veeam Software

Liked: 1081 times
Full Name: Alexander Fogelson

Veeam Logoby serg38 » Mon Oct 19, 2015 1:56 pm

I seem to remember seeing warning for VM that have VMTools installed but not running even after the registry fix. In our environment it is OK since OPS can go and fix the offending VM. For Vms that have no VMtools installed warning is converted into Informational log entry.
serg38
Novice

Liked: never
Full Name: Sergey

Veeam Logoby stevenrodenburg1 » Mon Oct 19, 2015 3:27 pm

"For Vms that have no VMtools installed warning is converted into Informational log entry."

Nope, it doesn't. It acts like the reg.key is not there and still says "warning" instead of "informational".
stevenrodenburg1
Expert

Liked: 18 times
Full Name: Steven Rodenburg

Veeam Logoby serg38 » Mon Oct 19, 2015 3:30 pm

I agree with foggy. Let Veeam support take a look at your issue. It would be nice if you post the outcome of their investigation here.
serg38
Novice

Liked: never
Full Name: Sergey

Veeam Logoby dcolpitts » Wed Dec 02, 2015 11:35 am

Any update here? I have this same issue at a couple of client sites now. The regedit does nothing.

dcc
dcolpitts
Veeam ProPartner

Liked: 9 times
Full Name: Dean Colpitts

Veeam Logoby foggy » Wed Dec 02, 2015 12:08 pm

Dean, please make sure the clients are actually on Update 3 and contact technical support directly, after confirming this. Cannot give you an update, since there're no case IDs reported for this issue in the thread.
foggy
Veeam Software

Veeam Logoby dcolpitts » Wed Dec 02, 2015 12:10 pm

They are definitely on Update 3. I was hoping to avoid the time sink that is calling support (any vendor's support call is a time sync ;-) )

Thanks

dcc
dcolpitts
Veeam ProPartner

Veeam Logoby singy2002 » Tue Dec 15, 2015 8:49 am 1 person likes this post

Since no one has posted that this has been raised as a support incident i have just logged it.

Ref: 01233728

Encountering the issue despite the reg key being added with Patch 3. In this instance the VM in question is a SCO VM which does not have a VM Tools VM as far as i know.
singy2002
Service Provider

Liked: 1 time
Full Name: Andrew Singleton

Veeam Logoby plandata_at » Tue Jan 26, 2016 2:53 pm

Please include this option in a future update.
The reg key is no solution, because the regkey changes the behavior in the behavior from warning to informational, and the information of the missing tools is shown in the job history, but in the email with job status even the information of the missing tools is gone!! Change from warning to ifnormational is ok, but the information can'Ät be missing in the email when information is there in the jobhistory!
plandata_at
Enthusiast

Liked: 10 times
Full Name: Plandata Datenverarbeitungs GmbH

Veeam Logoby dcolpitts » Tue Jan 26, 2016 4:36 pm

1.) Enable the regedit...
2.) Edit the job and go to the Guest Processing tab
3.) Click the Applications Button
4.) Edit the VM in question
5.) Disable application processing

Application-aware processing won't work if VMware Tools is not installed anyways because there is no way for VMware to send the queice commands into the VM... Right?

I confirmed these steps with support last month. In my case it was a replication job of a vendor supplied FreeBSD appliance without VMware Tools that had Application Processing enabled that was causing the issue.

dcc
dcolpitts
Veeam ProPartner

Veeam Logoby foggy » Tue Jan 26, 2016 5:06 pm 1 person likes this post

plandata_at wrote:Change from warning to ifnormational is ok, but the information can'Ät be missing in the email when information is there in the jobhistory!

Why you would change it from warning to informational, if you still want to see it in the report?
foggy
Veeam Software

Veeam Logoby plandata_at » Mon Feb 01, 2016 7:45 am 1 person likes this post

When looking at the GUI (Veeam Console) you can see that every backupjob worked fine because all is ok (green), while you are still able to take a deeper look if there are any VMs who should have vmware tools installed but haven't (text vmware tools are not found is displayed)
But in the email log, the text is not there, so everything worked fine but you are not able to take a deeper look.
In my opinion the best solution would be to be able to make exceptions of the tool quiesence like the VSS exceptions, and the second best option (more a workaround) would be to change the warning to informational (like the registry key does), but leave the information text there also in the email (like it is in the console) to leave the ability to take a closer look on which VMs tools are missing.

I think many customers may have VM appliances without the ability to install vmware tools, but still don't want a warning on the backupjob every day. (so is it a warning you can ignore, or is it a real warning?)
--> Feauture Request!
plandata_at
Enthusiast

Liked: 10 times
Full Name: Plandata Datenverarbeitungs GmbH

Veeam Logoby foggy » Mon Feb 01, 2016 10:34 am 1 person likes this post

Ok, if you want to have all greens for your jobs, but still interested in monitoring VMware Tools status and version, I can suggest using Veeam ONE VMs Configuration report for that.
foggy
Veeam Software

[MERGED] RFE: Stop Warnings on VMware Tools quiesce failures

Veeam Logoby rnelson0 » Sat Mar 05, 2016 1:40 pm

From https://twitter.com/rnelson0/status/705794906187571200 and https://twitter.com/rnelson0/status/706108021420728321

We do backups by folders, as I am sure many do. We have a folder for "non tools" VMs and a related job. That's kind of annoying. We also occasionally have VMs where Tools stops running. While it's nice to be aware of this, we don't really use Veeam as a monitoring solution. In fact, we really only want to get emails when backup jobs fail or have to retry. But because VMware tools not running generates a Warning, we get a lot of false negatives for Warnings. We DO see some Warnings where there are IPC or other issues, so we cannot disable Warning emails, too.

Solution: Add a checkbox under "Enable VMware Tools Quiescence" that says "Do not generate warnings when VMware Tools is not running", or similar. This would reduce false negative emails, reduce the number of backup jobs, and allow us to put VMs in the folder they belong in instead of a "No Tools Installed" folder tree.

Thanks!
rnelson0
Influencer

Liked: 4 times
Full Name: Rob Nelson

Re: RFE: Stop Warnings on VMware Tools quiesce failures

Veeam Logoby Gostev » Sat Mar 05, 2016 2:18 pm

Thanks Rob, I will discuss this with the devs.
Gostev
Veeam Software

Liked: 2349 times

PreviousNext

Return to VMware vSphere