Host-based backup of VMware vSphere VMs.
dpmarkham
Novice
Liked: 1 time
Full Name: Dean Markham

Accessing Physical DB servers outside of a Virtual Lab

Post by dpmarkham »

If I set up a Veeam Virtual Lab with several VM's inside of it, is it possible for those VMs to access a physical Oracle DB server outside of the Virtual Lab? If possible, is there a document/KB on how to do this. I know that you can set up Static Routes on the Linux Proxy to access VMs inside the virtual lab from the outside but not aware of how to do the same to access servers the other way.
Mildur
Product Manager
Liked: 2223 times
Full Name: Fabian K.

Re: Accessing Physical DB servers outside of a Virtual Lab

Post by Mildur »

Hi Dean

Currently only http/https traffic can be made available per proxy option on the virtual lab proxy appliance.

Can you elaborate why you need access to a physical host for testing? Is it required to run services on virtual machines inside the virtual lab?
Would it help, if you could use Veeam Agent Backups in a virtual lab environment?

Thanks
Fabian
Product Management Analyst @ Veeam Software
dpmarkham
Novice
Liked: 1 time
Full Name: Dean Markham

Post by dpmarkham »

That is what I suspected the answer was. Customer wants to run a DR test with many VMs at a DR site in an isolated virtual lab environment. These VMs are being replicated from their Prod site. They also have physical IBM AIX LPARs running Oracle which they will bring up during at their DR site which they need to access from the VMs during the DR test. The alternative is to just bring the VMs up outside of a Virtual Lab at their DR site and have the DR Oracle servers on the same network as those VMs. This will require that they cut off access to the DR site from their Prod site during the test but should be doable.
Zew
Veteran
Liked: 80 times
Full Name: Aemilianus Kehler

Post by Zew »

I do tests all the time. I do so utilizing Replication Jobs to make replica of my VMs on another host with isolated networks.

You could do the same and you could control your network to be however you want it to be, you could in that case make it so that your replicated VMs could access a physical DB server. Though I'd be very careful, E.G I wouldn't have isolated/test VMs make changes or utilize production data on a production DB.

More often than not I usually have all required resources in the isolated network, the hardest part is that all these servers don't have an internet connection. Again could be done, it all comes down to all your setup your infrastructure.

Or if you have a unreal powerfull Veeam server, you can try a SureBackupJob... does Veeam even still have that feature? been a while since I used it....