Active Full Per-VM backup?

VMware specific discussions

Active Full Per-VM backup?

Veeam Logoby zoltank » Mon Aug 22, 2016 1:58 pm

If I have a job set up to do Per-VM backup files, is it possible to run an Active Full backup on just one of those VMs, or can it only be done on all of them as a whole?
zoltank
Expert

Liked: 29 times

Re: Active Full Per-VM backup?

Veeam Logoby v.Eremin » Mon Aug 22, 2016 2:46 pm

It's a job level setting, not a VM level one. So, it's performed against all VMs included in job. Thanks.
v.Eremin
Veeam Software

Liked: 968 times
Full Name: Vladimir Eremin

Veeam Logoby Vitaliy S. » Mon Aug 22, 2016 4:35 pm

However, there are some workarounds to run active full backup for a specific VM. For example, if you re-register this VM in the virtual infrastructure this will change its moref ID and all applications monitoring/backing up this VM will treat this VM as new one. This will force Veeam backup to do active full backup for this VM. I would not recommend doing it unless there is a very strong reason for the active full backup of this VM.
Vitaliy S.
Veeam Software

Liked: 1102 times
Full Name: Vitaliy Safarov

Veeam Logoby tsightler » Mon Aug 22, 2016 8:12 pm

I'm thinking you could get creative with Powershell as well, temporarily exclude everything except the VM you wanted, run active full, then put everything back.

You can also delete just the VM you want from the backup with the "delete from disk" option and the next run of the backup job will run a full for that VM while still being an incremental for all others. You can always copy the existing chain of backups to another storage prior to doing this if you want to keep the old backups.

Finally, you can also run a Veeam ZIP to an alternate location if your goal is to simply get a full of that VM separate from the rest of the chain, perhaps prior to maintenance or something.
tsightler
Veeam Software

Liked: 1737 times
Full Name: Tom Sightler

Veeam Logoby dellock6 » Wed Aug 24, 2016 10:39 pm

Once upon a time there was this script available:
https://vpowercli.wordpress.com/2012/01 ... -in-a-job/

I'm wondering if it still works, or it may just require a few changes to make it usable with v9... :)

Worth a try.
Luca
Luca Dell'Oca
EMEA Cloud Architect @ Veeam Software

@dellock6
http://www.virtualtothecore.com
vExpert 2011-2012-2013-2014-2015-2016
Veeam VMCE #1
dellock6
Veeam Software

Liked: 1330 times
Full Name: Luca Dell'Oca

Veeam Logoby tsightler » Thu Aug 25, 2016 2:33 am

I'm pretty sure that old script doesn't work, but if you look in the forum thread where this script started it has been updated over the years. Most recently there's this one for v8, which I'm guessing has a reasonable chance of still working with v9:
https://blog.smasterson.com/2015/02/06/ ... owershell/

However, all of these scripts have one critical issue, they only work when the VMs are added to the job individually so just keep that in mind.
tsightler
Veeam Software

Liked: 1737 times
Full Name: Tom Sightler

Return to VMware vSphere