Discussions specific to the VMware vSphere hypervisor
Vitaliy S.
Product Manager
Liked: 1413 times
Full Name: Vitaliy Safarov

Re: Active snapshots limit reached for datastore

Post by Vitaliy S. » Jul 14, 2016 8:24 pm

That's global. If you want to limit the load on source datastores, you can also consider using max concurrent tasks setting for each proxy server used to retrieve VMs data.

rurouni
Enthusiast
Liked: 6 times

Post by rurouni » Jul 15, 2016 8:22 am

Hi Vitaly,
I do not want to reduce the number of concurrent tasks on my proxy since they are under used and it will probably lengthen my backup window.
Higher in this Thread i remember Gostev said that this settings did not affect datastores processed with SAN storage snapshot feature.

Does that mean i can confidently raise the value to allow my Nutanix Containers to handle more snapshots that 4 at a time while not affecting my 3par SAN Datastores?

Regards

Jean-Michel

Vitaliy S.
Product Manager
Liked: 1413 times
Full Name: Vitaliy Safarov

Post by Vitaliy S. » Jul 15, 2016 10:51 am

Yes, if you want to increase this limit for Nutanix Containers, then feel free to do that. This key doesn't affect datastores used in SAN storage snapshot integration.

odge
Veeam ProPartner
Liked: 7 times
Full Name: Matthew Ogden

Post by odge » Feb 11, 2018 8:50 pm

I'm surprised we cant set this per datastore from the GUI yet, any plans to do so

Gostev
SVP, Product Management
Liked: 3254 times

Post by Gostev » Feb 11, 2018 9:17 pm 1 person likes this post

Tweaking this has been an extremely rare need (as you can see from the date of the previous post before yours) for us to justify bringing this setting into the UI... I do however plan to eventually move all registry settings into the dedicated UI section in a slightly improved format that is still however similar to the registry. This is primarily to make these settings easier to set, and to make them stored in the configuration database along with all other settings - so that they are backed up and restored with the configuration backup.

odge
Veeam ProPartner
Liked: 7 times
Full Name: Matthew Ogden

Post by odge » Mar 20, 2018 10:18 am

Gostev wrote:Tweaking this has been an extremely rare need (as you can see from the date of the previous post before yours) for us to justify bringing this setting into the UI... I do however plan to eventually move all registry settings into the dedicated UI section in a slightly improved format that is still however similar to the registry. This is primarily to make these settings easier to set, and to make them stored in the configuration database along with all other settings - so that they are backed up and restored with the configuration backup.
That sounds like a good idea!

The reason we want to increase it, is we have jobs sending to a WAN repository (By WAN, I mean 2 layer 2 DCS, connected at 100mbps- but the latency seems to affect throughput). Those jobs hit that repo, and are using up 4 simultaneous jobs - slowly. The source datastore is VSAN all-flash, so it can handle the 4 jobs over WAN, plus another 4 Jobs to another SAN onsite.

mma
Service Provider
Liked: 13 times
Full Name: Marcel

Post by mma » Mar 20, 2018 3:17 pm

Gostev wrote:...I do however plan to eventually move all registry settings into the dedicated UI section...
https://forums.veeam.com/veeam-backup-r ... es#p253256

HALLELUJA! :mrgreen:

toreml
Enthusiast
Liked: never
Full Name: Tore Mejlænder-Larsen

[MERGED] Active snapshots limit reached for datastore

Post by toreml » Aug 27, 2018 7:39 am

Hi.

I get this message when I'm running backup jobs.
We have not set any limitations on the backup job under advanced.

All i've found regarding this is some registry key - MaxSnapshotsPerDatastore * that can be set on the backup and replication server - but that was for ver 7,5.

We are running ver 9,5 - and is this registry key still valid, or is there some other place I can change increase the maximum snapshots?
Today it's set to 4 for the vcenter.

Tore

DGrinev
Veeam Software
Liked: 184 times
Full Name: Dmitry Grinev

Post by DGrinev » Aug 27, 2018 11:43 am

Hi Tore,

The tweaking tool is the registry key you can edit.
Please review this thread for additional information. Thanks!

ratkinsonuk
Lurker
Liked: never
Full Name: Robert Atkinson

Post by ratkinsonuk » Dec 10, 2018 11:02 am

As the number of hyper-converged installations is likely to start increasing (specifically effecting this key), can I give a +1 for moving some of these key registry settings into the GUI configuration pages.

Rob

Kirill.Naumenko
Service Provider
Liked: 1 time
Full Name: Kirill Naumenko

Post by Kirill.Naumenko » Feb 10, 2019 10:59 am

Hi all!

Please help me - is this counter controlled by Veeam? Or this information gets from vcenter? When Veeam Backup server makes a snapshot on one or another datastore, does it record 1 to some variable, and then increase it after next one? Does this counter go to each datastore separately?
How I can control this counter? May be from PowerCli?

Andreas Neufert
Veeam Software
Liked: 596 times
Full Name: Andreas Neufert

Post by Andreas Neufert » Feb 10, 2019 11:34 am

It is controlled by Veeam. Please see above for the Registry key to control this. This limitation is in place to avoid issues with the production load. So please increase this only with care.

Kirill.Naumenko
Service Provider
Liked: 1 time
Full Name: Kirill Naumenko

Post by Kirill.Naumenko » Feb 10, 2019 12:34 pm

I saw information about Registry key. But I don't understand how it works. By default (when key doesn't created) value is 4. But I have some doubts about it. Therefore, all my questions in order to understand how it works.

Andreas Neufert
Veeam Software

Post by Andreas Neufert » Feb 10, 2019 12:42 pm

Each time we create a snapshot for a VM we check how many snapshots we have created for backup. This is per Datastore. There is no counter, we check actual situation.

Andreas Neufert
Veeam Software

Post by Andreas Neufert » Feb 10, 2019 12:43 pm

There is no way to check this as there is no counter. If you open the logs from backup job, you should get information at snapshot creation stage about the current value.