Host-based backup of VMware vSphere VMs.
McKITGuys
Enthusiast
Liked: 2 times
Full Name: McK Admins

Adding vCenter to Veeam backups

Post by McKITGuys »

Hi all,

Have taken over a Veeam backup setup for a client and getting through the issues one by one. Note that I am a SMB "generalist" and so I only know Veeam "so much". But I did read through most of 1300 pages of the VBR manual and took notes to get a lot more informed :-)

Anyhow, backups now working nicely but noticed that the vCenter VM itself is not backed up in any of the existing backup sets. I don't know if the assumption was that if that VM went down, one would just rebuild it from scratch (it is a small environment - 3 hosts about a dozen production VMs etc). Or should the previous guy have included vCenter in his backups? I ask the question also because I wonder what is the effect on VBR in having to quietize/snapshot vCenter when vCenter itself is central to the setup in VBR?

Thanks
Albert
Mildur
Product Manager
Liked: 2294 times
Full Name: Fabian K.

Re: Adding vCenter to Veeam backups

Post by Mildur » 2 people like this post

Hi Albert

Nice to hear, reading through all 1300 pages :)
For vCenter backup, we have a kb article which explains your options:
https://www.veeam.com/kb2328

Our recommendation is to use vCenter own backup feature. You can use image level backups as an additional protection for your vCenter appliance.
VMware Tools Quiescence And application aware processing must be disabled for the vCenter Backup Job.

Rebuilding vCenter from scratch means every vm gets new MoRefID. That will lead to new backup chains and active full backups. So you should protect the vCenter database in case you loose the vCenter appliance.

Best,
Fabian
Product Management Analyst @ Veeam Software
McKITGuys
Enthusiast
Liked: 2 times
Full Name: McK Admins

Post by McKITGuys » 1 person likes this post

BTW, I think the user guide has really improved (I read smatterings of it a few years ago before getting involved with this job).

And it seems to be really accurate and up to date - I thought I had found an error (re setting filters on jobs) but I went over it again and realized that I had just misunderstood it. So kudos to your tech writers.

Oh, and I had the manual open today - I actually did 1410 pages out of the 2000 or so - I even have my limits :-)

Albesrt
Mildur
Product Manager
Liked: 2294 times
Full Name: Fabian K.

Post by Mildur »

Thanks Albert.
Our Tech Writers will be happy to hear that.

If you think you found an error in the user guide, you can always use the feedback button at the bottom of each page.
Or you can mark the "wrong statement" and use CTRL+Enter on your keyboard. A Popup will open which lets you send an email to our tech writers. We always appreciate feedbacks on our user guides. :)

Best,
Fabian
Product Management Analyst @ Veeam Software