Host-based backup of VMware vSphere VMs.
regi
Enthusiast
Liked: 22 times
Full Name: Regi Pradeeswaran

Advise - Upgrading my current Veeam setup to new

Post by regi »

Hello I need some advise upgrading my current and only Veeam setup. One HP Proliant DL380 G5 Intel 5150 2.67 Ghz 2 CPU with 20GB RAM, Win 2008 R2 with local SAS discs for OS. Backing up from HP SAN (1Gbps iSCSI direct SAN access) to Overland Storage Sanp N2000 ENT NAS vai 1Gbps LAN. 7 Host latest ESX cluster (All HP Blades). When i first deploy this 3 years ago i had around 50 Linux VM's (Ubuntu 10.04 backup takes 6 hours) and now grown to 132 & backup taking 15+ hours. I wanted setup a new Veeam server(s), May be with local SATA disks than NAS. Money is not an issue. Please advise whats the best option for me & i use all HP hardware.

See below is the report (Sorry it's long), i just simply want to cut down the backup between 9pm - 5 am using faster server(s), more proxies etc....

Appropriate any help

13 August 2013 20:45:16
Success 132 Start time 20:45:16 Total size 5.6 TB Backup size 112.8 GB
Warning 2 End time 13:18:52 (+1) Data read 467.7 GB Dedupe 1.2x
Error 0 Duration 16:33:36 Transferred 117.2 GB Compression 3.4x
veremin
Product Manager
Liked: 2252 times
Full Name: Vladimir Eremin

Re: Advise - Upgrading my current Veeam setup to new

Post by veremin »

First of all, if you’re after decreased backup window, you should definitely consider splitting this huge job (132 VMs) into several small ones and running them simultaneously.

Also, I can see from the log provided that you occasionally get “Cannot use CBT: Soap fault” error, so, kindly check this topic for a possible solution.

Moreover, I’ve noticed that on one VM CBT couldn’t be enabled due to the snapshot presence. It, in its turn, led to the usage of VB&R proprietary mechanism. If CBT doesn't work, VB&R scans through the VM image and a checksum (hash) is calculated for every data block, then it verifies what blocks have been changed on your VM compared to the VM image stored in the backup file. This process might be time-consuming, thus, it stands to reason to consolidate existing snapshots on this VM prior to backing it up, so that, CBT can be leveraged.

Thanks.
regi
Enthusiast

Post by regi »

Hello Thanks for the reply. Is it advisable to install a new more powerful server with loads of local SATA disks than NAS ? What about using more proxies ? Or even 2 Veeam servers ?
When you say split 132 VM, 25 VMs/job is ok? - Please advise

I have full Veeam BR enterprise support, any chance we can have a 10 minutes chat on a convenient time for you please ?
foggy
Veeam Software
Liked: 2115 times
Full Name: Alexander Fogelson

Post by foggy »

regi wrote:Is it advisable to install a new more powerful server with loads of local SATA disks than NAS ?
It depends on what is currently the bottleneck for your job (available in the job stats window). If target is the bottleneck, then more powerful storage will allow to decrease backup times.
regi wrote: What about using more proxies ? Or even 2 Veeam servers ?
You can set up several proxies to be able to run more concurrent tasks. No need to set up additional Veeam server for that.
regi wrote:When you say split 132 VM, 25 VMs/job is ok? - Please advise
General recommendation is to group similar VMs (i.e. created from the same templates, for example) to get better dedupe rates. Please review this topic for some considerations.
regi wrote:I have full Veeam BR enterprise support, any chance we can have a 10 minutes chat on a convenient time for you please ?
Please contact our technical support, they will be able to set up a call with you. This is not a support forum.

Thanks.
regi
Enthusiast

Post by regi »

Thanks for the expert advise :mrgreen:
veremin
Product Manager
Liked: 2252 times
Full Name: Vladimir Eremin

Post by veremin »

In fact, it’s rather hard to make any speculations regarding certain configuration steps without seeing actual environment. For instance, the question with regards to how many VMs should be included in this or that particular job can be only answered by running several tests and finding the happy medium that meets best your backup window expectations.

As to the updating process, I strongly advise you to contact the system engineer available in your region and he/she will be able to assist you efficiently with it via whatever system you prefer (WEBex, etc.).

Thanks.