Host-based backup of VMware vSphere VMs.
snadam
Influencer
Liked: never

After permanent replica failover, "_Replica" remains

Post by snadam »

I suspect this has been discussed before but I couldn't find it using either the PHPbb search or the Googles. I have a few servers replicated and plan to execute permanent failovers so that the replicas become production servers. I've already tested the process on one machine and it seems to go well but after completion the server name and datastore directory still include the word "_replica". If I were to go through the same process in the future I'd end up with "_replica_replica" in the name. I can see it now, in 5 or six years time I'll have servers with the word "_replica" repeated 4 times. :?

So my questions are...
- Have I not completed the process?
- Is this behavior by design? And if so, what is the recommended clean-up procedure?

Thanks in advance for any help or input you can offer,
Adam
veremin
Product Manager
Liked: 2258 times
Full Name: Vladimir Eremin

Re: After permanent replica failover, "_Replica" remains

Post by veremin »

It’s expected behaviour - suffix is always added in order to prevent having VMs with the same name in the infrastructure.

The name of VM can be changed via vSphere client. Nevertheless, if you also want to change the names of the corresponding files, Storage vMotion should be performed.

For more information about VM-files renaming please see this topic.

And don’t forget that suffix itself is specified in the job settings, so it can be set however one likes.

Hope this helps.
Thanks.
snadam
Influencer
Liked: never

Post by snadam »

Perfect, thank you.

Using a combination of vMotion and failback-to-production I was able to achieve exactly what I wanted with all machine names being correct.

Thank you Veeam for a fantastic product.

Adam
tsightler
VP, Product Management
Liked: 2843 times
Full Name: Tom Sightler

Post by tsightler »

If you have separate vCenters, or even separate datacenters in the same vCenter, it's actually possible to leave the suffix blank since VMs with duplicate names are supported in those cases, however, it can still be confusing from an administrative perspective.