All backup proxies are offline or outdated

VMware specific discussions

Re: All backup proxies are offline or outdated

Veeam Logoby foggy » Fri Jun 03, 2016 11:51 am

It is always recommended to have all the Veeam B&R components updated to have the same version as the backup server itself.
foggy
Veeam Software

Liked: 1110 times
Full Name: Alexander Fogelson

[MERGED] Proxy servers becoming unavailable

Veeam Logoby WayneWiseman » Wed Nov 09, 2016 1:11 am

Hi,

just wondering if anyone has experienced an issue where proxy servers become unavailable after a backup is initiated? The backup subsequently fails with error "Unable to allocate processing resources. Error: All backup proxies are offline or outdated"

I do have a support case open, ID is Case # 01969382

I'm using v9 with update 2 installed, all servers are fully patched.

My Veeam Management server is a Win2012 R2 virtual machine (using VMware) and the two proxy servers are physical (also Win 2012 R2).

Backups worked previously until I made a change to the proxy server configuration. Both proxy server have 2 NIC's, one attached to 172.x network the other attached to 192.x
Initially the proxy server settings within Veeam used the 192.x addresses. Due to a change in our network configuration I had to change that to 172.x (I disabled the existing proxies and created new ones).
I had used IP addresses for the 192.x proxies and used DNS names for the 172.x proxies, so don't believe there would be a conflict in the Veeam config database.
When looking under Backup Infrastructure > Backup Proxies the servers look fine and rescanning succeeds with no errors.
Everything looks fine until you run a backup. Watching the "Action" pane, the job gets to "Waiting for backup infrastructure resources availability", sits there for a while then fails with the error "Unable to allocate processing resources. Error: All backup proxies are offline or outdated"

Any ideas or suggestions are very welcome.

Thanks,
Wayne.
WayneWiseman
Novice

Liked: never
Full Name: Wayne Wiseman

Veeam Logoby Shestakov » Wed Nov 09, 2016 9:57 am 1 person likes this post

Hi Wayne and welcome to the community!
Usually that error appears if there is no connection between datastore and backup proxy, if the proxy server is outdated, i.e. has components of older version than VBR server or if VBR server has the same UUID as ESXi,.
I guess your case is the first or second. So I would check the connection, perform DNS flush if needed and check if proxy upgrade is available.
Thanks!
Shestakov
Veeam Software

Liked: 417 times
Full Name: Nikita Shestakov

Veeam Logoby WayneWiseman » Thu Nov 10, 2016 12:24 am

Thanks Nikita,

I think I may have resolved the issue. After removing the 192 references from the proxies with no luck, I could still see 192 entries in the logs. I had another look over the environment and saw that the tape servers were using 192 addresses. I was able to delete one of the tape servers (the other is saying it is used by a job that I have already deleted so I need to work on that) and the backups worked last night. They didn't all complete as the window stopped at 8am (and I suspect they only had one proxy available) but it's definitely progress.

If anyone knows how I can delete this tape server that thinks it's required for a job that no longer exists, that would be useful.

Thanks,
Wayne.
WayneWiseman
Novice

Veeam Logoby Shestakov » Thu Nov 10, 2016 3:16 pm

Thanks for the update, Wayne!
Does the console show you names of the targeted jobs?
If you are sure there are no such jobs and/or information is obsolete, try to restart VBR service.
Shestakov
Veeam Software

Veeam Logoby WayneWiseman » Tue Nov 15, 2016 1:35 am

Hi Nikita,

it turns out there were orphaned entries in the Veeam database. Support provided me with some SQL scripts to run to clean it up and now we're all good. I was able to remove the last tape server with the 192 address and now both proxies are available for backups and all running fine.

Cheers,
Wayne.
WayneWiseman
Novice

Veeam Logoby Shestakov » Tue Nov 15, 2016 10:04 am

Thanks for updating the topic, Wayne!
Glad the issue is resolved now.
Shestakov
Veeam Software

Veeam Logoby aich365 » Fri May 19, 2017 2:41 pm

We had this problem and it was caused by the PDC and BDC being out of sync.
Both restarted and now works.
aich365
Influencer

Full Name: Clive Harris

Previous

Return to VMware vSphere