[vcsa 5] Any recommendation for a backup/replica job?

VMware specific discussions

Re: [vcsa 5] Any recommendation for a backup/replica job?

Veeam Logoby Gostev » Thu Apr 17, 2014 9:01 am

Thanks for the confirmation Lars, that's what I thought.
Gostev
Veeam Software

Liked: 2349 times

Veeam Logoby v.tom » Tue May 06, 2014 2:33 pm

I've have made a script which can automatically backup the vCenter database: http://virtual-matter.com/backup-vcente ... t-5-1-5-5/

If you backup vCenter with Veeam including this file, you will always have a consistent backup of your vCenter Appliance.
VMCE certified
v.tom
Influencer

Liked: 2 times
Full Name: Tom

[MERGED] Best method for Backup VCSA 6

Veeam Logoby tomcek » Fri May 27, 2016 2:49 pm

Can anyone recommend some settings for a consistent backup of a vCenter Appliance 6 (VCSA).

Enable application-aware processing does not work because Veeam seems not to be able to login to the VCSA although shell is enabled (login to VCSA with putty you come direct to the shell with user root). The test always fails.

I ask because of the vPostgres database inside the VCSA. Best would be to stop and start database or services linke "vmware-vdcs" and "vmware-vpxd".

It would be nice if someone can share his experience in backup the VCSA 6.

Thanks!
tomcek
Novice

Liked: never

Veeam Logoby foggy » Mon May 30, 2016 10:52 am

Please review the thread above. Starting/stopping PostgreSQL services/daemons prior making the VM snapshot should guarantee you application-consistent backups.
foggy
Veeam Software

Liked: 1078 times
Full Name: Alexander Fogelson

[MERGED] Vcenter virtual applicances backup using veeam 9.0

Veeam Logoby comapny1980 » Tue May 31, 2016 10:11 am

Dear All,

It is possible for me to take backup of vcenter Virtaull applicances using veeam backup, if yes what is the best setting for backup job. Vcenter applicaes is installed as vm on our esxi host.

regards

furqan ahmed
comapny1980
Novice

Liked: never
Full Name: Furqan Ahmed

Veeam Logoby foggy » Tue May 31, 2016 10:18 am

Yes, it is totally possible. Please review this thread for some recommendations. Basically, you need to enable VMware Tools Quiescence in the job settings.
foggy
Veeam Software

Liked: 1078 times
Full Name: Alexander Fogelson

Veeam Logoby tntteam » Thu Jun 16, 2016 2:28 pm

foggy wrote:Yes, it is totally possible. Please review this thread for some recommendations. Basically, you need to enable VMware Tools Quiescence in the job settings.

Hi,

Sorry but this thread is all but clear. There are informations for different vcsa and veeam versions and I can't figure out the safest way to do this.

Can you tell me how to backup vcsa 6 completly (including application and database valid states) with VEEAM using a complete sentence describing the complete steps from A to Z so there will be no missunderstanding ? THanks !

-use the vmware script to do manual backup ( https://kb.vmware.com/selfservice/micro ... Id=2091961 ) ?
-use vmware tools quiesce ?
-use some prefreeze script ?

Also I found this website but I did not understand very well what's explained here :
http://emadyounis.com/vcenter/vcenter-s ... 1-rundown/
Support for VCSA backups via VMware vSphere Storage APIs – Data Protection (formley VADP) has been extended. In addition to VCSA with embedded PSC support, now external PSC has been added. This can be done leveraging VMware’s VDP or any third party solution with VMware vSphere Storage APIs – Data Protection, like Veeam. In this example I’m using VDP 6.1 and have taken backups of my external PSC and VCSA.

So we can setup vmware vadp appliance and veeam will integrate with it ?

Thank you
tntteam
Enthusiast

Liked: 4 times
Full Name: tntteam

Veeam Logoby lando_uk » Wed Jun 22, 2016 2:44 pm

Can you tell me how to backup vcsa 6 completly (including application and database valid states) with VEEAM using a complete sentence describing the complete steps from A to Z so there will be no missunderstanding ? THanks !

I'd also like to know.
lando_uk
Expert

Liked: 17 times
Full Name: Mark

Veeam Logoby mdornfeld » Thu Jul 07, 2016 9:42 pm

lando_uk wrote:Can you tell me how to backup vcsa 6 completly (including application and database valid states) with VEEAM using a complete sentence describing the complete steps from A to Z so there will be no missunderstanding ? THanks!

I'd also like to know.

Agreed. The above has just become a jumbled mess of versions and conflicting recommendations. I'd also like to know A-Z steps of the Veeam recommended way to back up the vCSA 6.x appliance. Thank you!
mdornfeld
Expert

Full Name: Matt

Veeam Logoby Vitaliy S. » Fri Jul 08, 2016 4:23 pm

Hi Matt, not sure why it is conflicting, but basically you need to enable VMware Tools quiescence and use pre-freeze/post-thaw scripts for application consistency, adding this VM via direct ESXi host connection should not be required.

Let me know if you face any issues with this approach.
Vitaliy S.
Veeam Software

Liked: 1100 times
Full Name: Vitaliy Safarov

Veeam Logoby mdornfeld » Fri Jul 08, 2016 4:29 pm

Vitaliy S. wrote:use pre-freeze/post-thaw scripts for application consistency

Thank you Vitaliy. Just to be perfectly clear on the pre-freeze/post-thaw scripts, which specific scripts are you referring to?

Matt
mdornfeld
Expert

Veeam Logoby Vitaliy S. » Fri Jul 08, 2016 4:43 pm

I'm referring to some generic pre-freeze/post-thaw scripts that should be used to prepare vPostgres database in VCSA for backups. If there are no scripts to use and vCenter Server database can sustain creating snapshots without preparing its database, then quicence on the file system level (VMware Tools Quiescence) should be enough to make a VM-level backup of the VCSA.

BTW, VMware has a KB article on how to back it up, but this is a manual procedure > Back up and restore vCenter Server Appliance/vCenter Server 6.0 vPostgres database
Vitaliy S.
Veeam Software

Veeam Logoby mdornfeld » Fri Jul 08, 2016 4:53 pm

Thank you for the input. It strikes me as very odd that given the general direction of VMware towards the vCSA, and my guess that at least half of Veeam's user base uses VMware, that you don't just have a perfectly tuned built-in job for Veeam users to invoke for this very specific purpose. It's like that moment a few revs back when Veeam realized it should introduce a specialized backup job to backup Veeam itself. My suggestion is that the vCSA is now mature enough that this should be a given as well. Thank you for your time and assistance!
mdornfeld
Expert

Veeam Logoby Vitaliy S. » Fri Jul 08, 2016 5:01 pm

Thanks for the feedback! I will double-check it with our QC team, but I haven't heard that vCSA needs any special treatment during backup (assuming VMware Tools Quiescence is enabled).
Vitaliy S.
Veeam Software

Veeam Logoby mdornfeld » Fri Jul 08, 2016 5:07 pm

Hi Vitaliy.

Really appreciate you checking with QC. I am probably misunderstanding, but it seems like I just go two separate set of instructions in the last couple of posts.

Vitaliy S. wrote:... you need to enable VMware Tools quiescence and use pre-freeze/post-thaw scripts for application consistency.

Vitaliy S. wrote:... I haven't heard that vCSA needs any special treatment during backup (assuming VMware Tools Quiescence is enabled).

Would really appreciate that if after you check with QC, you can post the go-forward recommendation from Veeam for backing up the vCSA 6.x appliance.

Thank you very much for you persistence! Matt
mdornfeld
Expert

PreviousNext

Return to VMware vSphere