Host-based backup of VMware vSphere VMs.
jkaufman
Lurker
Liked: never
Full Name: Jonathan Kaufman

Anyone migrate from TSMVE to Veeam recently?

Post by jkaufman »

We are evaluating moving from TSMVE/TDP to Veeam for our entire VMware infrastructure (50 hosts, 500+ VMs), has anyone else migrated from TSM to Veeam recently? Any suggestions on setup? Gotcha's? Things that don't work well with veeam?

We have TSMVE, we also use TDP for SQL & Lotus Notes and have a few TB+ SQL Databases that we backup using TDP daily right now, so daily backups using Veeam would also need to happen, and generally we need "quick" backups (60-70mb/sec normally). Our VMware Hardware is almost entirely made up of Cisco UCS Blades, and our disk backend in FC based IBM San Volume Controller disk. My management is NOT enthusiastic on replication, so TAPE-OUT is a must...

I expect as I'm new to Veeam and this would be the first Veeam implementation at my workplace that I'll miss something, or something will not be setup quite "right". I'd just like to avoid some pitfalls if I can.

I've skimmed the User/Install guide and came up with a few idea's on an environment, but I'm unsure of what's a good rule of thumb for # of proxes ..

Here is what I've thought up so far, we would be running Veeam Availability Suite Enteprise.

Veeam One VM's (Supporting our site, probably 3-5 admins and maybe a secondary site or two)
(1) Veeam One Server & Local Server Express (2012) Installation
2vCPU, 8GB, 500GB disk
(1) Veeam One Web UI
2vCPU, 2GB, Disk?
(2) Veeam One Monitor Clients
1vCPU, 2GB, Disk??

Veeam B&R VM's
(1) Veeam Backup Server
Each Cluster in vCenter would have
(1) Veeam Proxy (General VM) - 4vCPU 8gb
(1) Veeam Proxy (SQL) - 8vcpu 8gb

Veeam V&R Physical Machines
(1) Windows 2012 R2 Veeam Repository & Veeam Proxy & Veeam Tape Server
(4) FC direct attached LTO-5 Tape drives in an Automated library.
UCS C3160?

Any help would be appreciated, links to posts or whitepapers also appreciated. I've skimmed a few posts already, but I'm certain to have missed a few.

Thanks.
foggy
Veeam Software
Liked: 2115 times
Full Name: Alexander Fogelson

Re: Anyone migrate from TSMVE to Veeam recently?

Post by foggy »

Jonathan, your general considerations look good. You will understand whether you need more proxies when start backing up and monitoring your backup window. Typically, each proxy is capable of processing the same number of parallel tasks as the number of CPU cores it has (where each task is a single VM disk). Pay close attention at bottleneck stats so that you could fine tune your environment for more optimal data transfer.

We have the Best Practices document, though it was written in times when previous version was effective, basic recommendations still applicable to v8.
jkaufman
Lurker
Liked: never
Full Name: Jonathan Kaufman

Re: Anyone migrate from TSMVE to Veeam recently?

Post by jkaufman »

Thanks, I'll take a look at the Best Practices guide.