Host-based backup of VMware vSphere VMs.
Vitaliy S.
VP, Product Management
Liked: 2710 times
Full Name: Vitaliy Safarov

Re: B&R 7.0 Wishlist

Post by Vitaliy S. »

Sonny, scheduled jobs are not supposed to work in free mode, while VeeamZIP should work as it is an ad-hoc backup task.
smendoza
Novice
Liked: 1 time
Full Name: Sonny Mendoza

Post by smendoza » 1 person likes this post

I didn't actually schedule the job, but I built it the same way I had always built my jobs. I switched over to the Virtual Machines page, browsed the host, right-clicked the VM and found the VeeamZIP option. That's exactly what I needed. To bad the job couldn't be built the other way, and because it's an unlicensed host make the option to schedule the job unavailable. That way it stays a manual task, but can be tracked in the same place as everything else. In any case, I'm all set now.
readie
Expert
Liked: 30 times
Full Name: Bob Eadie

Post by readie »

STGdb wrote:I like the idea of pausing a job also.

Yes, I would be willing to leave a VM in the "backup" state with a snapshot for as long as needed. As an admin, I understand the ramifications of pausing the job (and leaving the snap) - typically pausing a VM backup job is only needed in an emergency anyway. I would think that most won't pause backup jobs on a regular basis.
Yes please. We have two very large fileservers (3TB each) and the first full backup takes well over 24 hours, so it would be nice to pause it at the start of the working day, and resume at the end of the working day, so as not to overload our infrastructure. Even better if that could somehow be set in the job - windows when it must be paused. (We're a seven day a week organisation, so can't even use the weekends safely!) The full backup is of course not done very often (we've just moved to new backup repository) so it would rarely be used.
Bob Eadie
Computer Manager at Bedford School, UK (since 1999).
Veeam user since 2009.
Gostev
Chief Product Officer
Liked: 6646 times

Post by Gostev »

Imagine how large can the VM snapshot will grow while the backup is paused... does that not concern you?
NightBird
Expert
Liked: 57 times

Post by NightBird »

Active Full instead of Transform Full on Backup Copy Job.
Ideal for dedup device (like DataDomain)
readie
Expert
Liked: 30 times
Full Name: Bob Eadie

Post by readie »

Gostev wrote:Imagine how large can the VM snapshot will grow while the backup is paused... does that not concern you?
For the occasional one off job, I think I would prefer a large snapshot to build up, rather than perform the full backup during the working day, and risk affecting users? But happy to take advice.
Bob Eadie
Computer Manager at Bedford School, UK (since 1999).
Veeam user since 2009.
b.vanhaastrecht
Service Provider
Liked: 154 times
Full Name: Bastiaan van Haastrecht

Post by b.vanhaastrecht »

NightBird wrote:Active Full instead of Transform Full on Backup Copy Job.
Ideal for dedup device (like DataDomain)
+1
Transforms are killing on a dedupe unit.
======================================================
Veeam ProPartner, Service Provider and a proud Veeam Legend
scott.anderson
Service Provider
Liked: 15 times
Full Name: Scott Anderson

Post by scott.anderson »

I'd like to see the ability to support mix Veeam licensing on a single B&R instance.

Its not uncommon in some of the larger organisation we support, to see both VMWare and HyperV.

So why not enable licensing to be supported for both on the same B&R server. And different licensing levels as well!

We also see organisation with both Standard and Enterprise licensing, some machines such as VA's you really don't need Enterprise as there will not normally be a requirement for granular restores. So if you have a utility cluster where you only need Standard licensing and an application cluster where you need Enterprise you currently need 2 B&R servers.

As long as you assign as license to a host you should be able to back it up.

Restores could just check what licensing is assigned to a host before allowing/disallowing granular functions.

Oh and PLEASE add the Veeam Configuration backup as a file type that the Backup to Tape can process!!!
foggy
Veeam Software
Liked: 2115 times
Full Name: Alexander Fogelson

Post by foggy »

scott.anderson wrote:I'd like to see the ability to support mix Veeam licensing on a single B&R instance.
Its not uncommon in some of the larger organisation we support, to see both VMWare and HyperV.
This is something we have available even now, you can swap your licensed sockets from one hypervisor to another.
scott.anderson wrote:So if you have a utility cluster where you only need Standard licensing and an application cluster where you need Enterprise you currently need 2 B&R servers.
Moreover, you cannot have two different editions in one physical location.

Anyway, thanks for the feedback!
scott.anderson
Service Provider

Post by scott.anderson »

Foggy

this is why its hard to displace some of the enterprise products!

When your talking 20 hosts and 10 of them don't need Enterprise its very hard to persuade customers that they still need to pay for 20 Enterprise licenses rather than 10 Enterprise and 10 Standard because (quite reasonably in my opinion!) they want to manage it all from one management server, one backup storage solution and one tape/archive solution!

I know everyone in the supply chain would love to sell all Enterprise (including us as a reseller) but those kind of dollar and infrastructure requirements do make and break deals or persuade customers to stick with the likes of Netbackup and CommVault. And yes we do sell those too, so the loser as far as revenue is Veeam not us.
Vitaliy S.
VP, Product Management

Post by Vitaliy S. »

Hello Scott,
scott.anderson wrote:Restores could just check what licensing is assigned to a host before allowing/disallowing granular functions.
Thanks for your feedback, but I'm not sure I understand how this is going to work. Would you like Veeam B&R server check source host? What if the restore goes to another host? Also how should the product behave if you decide to change the assigned license edition of the source host?

Thank you!
veremin
Product Manager
Liked: 2252 times
Full Name: Vladimir Eremin

Post by veremin »

scott.anderson wrote:Oh and PLEASE add the Veeam Configuration backup as a file type that the Backup to Tape can process!!!
Hi, Scott,

We have already tracked your request at corresponding subforum. For now the only option you have is to use file to tape job.

Thanks.
scott.anderson
Service Provider

Post by scott.anderson »

Vitaliy,

Just an idea, but if I was doing it I'd put a flag on the meta data that the backup stores for each VM. One that can indicate if the host that the VM was on at the time of the backup was licensed for Standard or Enterprise.
The restore routines could then check the flag when you select the VM and allow or disallow granular restores.

That way a customer could actually move a VM to a host that is appropriate to the type of recovery for the VM and potentially change it if they wanted by moving the VM to a hosts with a different license.
Vitaliy S.
VP, Product Management

Post by Vitaliy S. »

Yes, that could be the way to address that, but it's gonna be hard to manage everything when you have lots of backups and you need to restore smth, but cannot do it, because you forgot to transfer the VM/license. Thanks for the feedback anyway!
J_Pressler
Lurker
Liked: never
Full Name: Jeff Pressler

Post by J_Pressler »

Not sure if this is the right place but can we have an option added.

I would like to see a prompt for an active full and integrity check ran after a SureBackup Job shows a failure of a VM from backup. Make sense?
foggy
Veeam Software
Liked: 2115 times
Full Name: Alexander Fogelson

Post by foggy »

Jeff, this forum is the right place to post your feedback. Thanks!