Host-based backup of VMware vSphere VMs.
davow
Influencer
Liked: 2 times
Full Name: D W

B&R v9: Instant Recovery from (VNX) Storage Snapshot

Post by davow »

Hi,
I have a VNX5300 and am doing a Instant Recovery from a storage snapshot. When the process starts, I get the following in the message window:

Binding snapshot clone Veeam_Lun_SPA_T3_OtN_66_SS_1 to iSCSI adapter vmhba38 on host ....

The issue is, I am on Fibre Channel. There are 4 Broadcom iScsi adapters that are unused on the ESX host (I cannot disable the hardware iSCSI. I even tried removing the bnxi driver vib from ESX).
The binding snapshot fails on all 4 iscsi adapters before successfully binding on the FC adapter.
Is there a way to have it not bind to those unused iSCSI adapters? What is the logic of Veeam here? Is it just going through all available adapters and trying each one until success? Why iSCSI first?

The process eventually works but it would be good to not have to deal with it if possible.

Cheers,
David

PS. Let me know if I should just open a support ticket. I thought I would try here first.
PTide
Product Manager
Liked: 724 times

Re: B&R v9: Instant Recovery from (VNX) Storage Snapshot

Post by PTide »

Hi,

Yes, it seems that you should contact our support team. Support engineer will request your logs so please collect them beforehand and don't forget to post your case ID in this thread.

Thank you.
davow
Influencer
Liked: 2 times
Full Name: D W

Post by davow »

Hi All,
Just to provide some closure on this issue, I raised a ticket and it was confirmed to me that the logic IS to try iSCSI before FC and it is hard-coded into the product. I have asked support to raise a feature request to have that fixed/altered.

Cheers
Gostev
Chief Product Officer
Liked: 6648 times

Post by Gostev »

Actually I was discussing the UI for this feature a few weeks ago, so this is coming in the next release for sure. Thanks!