Backing up a Windows Failover Cluster with Shared Storage?

VMware specific discussions

Re: Backing up a Windows Failover Cluster with Shared Storag

Veeam Logoby simonpooley » Mon Jan 25, 2016 2:56 pm

Hi guys,

Sorry for bumping an old thread but this is exactly what I'd need to achieve. I'm hoping perhaps this ability has been added in a newer version of Veeam?

Thanks
simonpooley
Novice

Liked: never

Veeam Logoby ChrisGundryCEGA » Mon Jan 25, 2016 4:33 pm

Hi Simon,

I asked the same thing a few weeks ago but the gist is that Veeam are unable to do anything because VMware cannot snapshot the VM/disks. I asked if there was any suggestion about a way forward, perhaps using Veeam Endpoint within the guest, or some other guest based component but the answer was a flat no. My topic was also merged with another pre-existing topic with no notice or explanation. So unfortunately I expect you will get the same response.

Chris
ChrisGundryCEGA
Enthusiast

Liked: 1 time
Full Name: Chris Gundry

Veeam Logoby Vitaliy S. » Mon Jan 25, 2016 4:54 pm

Hi Simon, please review this existing topic for more information, but Chris is correct that in order to backup these VMs you need to take a snapshot, which is not possible to do in current version of VMware vSphere.
Vitaliy S.
Veeam Software

Liked: 1102 times
Full Name: Vitaliy Safarov

Veeam Logoby ChrisGundryCEGA » Tue Jan 26, 2016 9:21 am

Vitaliy: You said this previously:
To the best of my knowledge, some people are disabling bus sharing during backup job or reconfigure their infrastructures to be supported for VM snapshots.

Can you elaborate please?
ChrisGundryCEGA
Enthusiast

Veeam Logoby Vitaliy S. » Tue Jan 26, 2016 11:03 am

Yes, sure. If they want to make a backup, they re-configure the VM to allow snapshots, not sure how automatic this process is though.
Vitaliy S.
Veeam Software

Veeam Logoby simonpooley » Tue Jan 26, 2016 11:32 am

Hi Chris, Vitaliy,

Thanks for responding to me succinctly.

The reason I ask is that we've just created a series of VMs for an application called BizTalk. It works best with a Windows Cluster (2 nodes) because this gives us high availability on some windows services. We also have shared disks on these two clustered application servers.

Because we've moved from old physical servers to VMs in HyperV 2012 (sorry I now realise this is a VMware board but I suspect the issue is the same), I was naively under the impression taking a backup of the machine(s) would be easy! Imagine my surprise when my infrastructure guys are telling me "we can't backup clustered machines at all".

So basically I was looking for a mechanism where we can take periodic snapshots of a two machine clustered VM which uses a SAN for storage. If anyone has any suggestions on how we could go about that I'd be really grateful.

Many thanks
simonpooley
Novice

Veeam Logoby Vitaliy S. » Tue Jan 26, 2016 11:47 am

Simon, are you using shared VHDX for this VM configuration?
Vitaliy S.
Veeam Software

Veeam Logoby simonpooley » Tue Jan 26, 2016 12:40 pm

Is a shared VHDX the same as a Cluster Shared Volume that is mounted in the C: drive, for instance:

C:\ClusterStorage\DiskName1
C:\ClusterStorage\DiskName2

Our clustered application servers are *not* set up like this (however the db servers are).

I believe our application servers are using shared storage via an iSCSI interface. These drives appear as standard drive letters on the active node, i.e.
Node1 (Active) - C:, D:, E:
Node2 (Inactive) - C:

simonpooley
Novice

Veeam Logoby dellock6 » Tue Jan 26, 2016 12:50 pm

Wait, so in this case you can backup (at least in crash consistent mode) the shared VHDX, the limit is about VMware and because it was in this subforum we were a little bit misleaded....
Luca Dell'Oca
EMEA Cloud Architect @ Veeam Software

@dellock6
http://www.virtualtothecore.com
vExpert 2011-2012-2013-2014-2015-2016
Veeam VMCE #1
dellock6
Veeam Software

Liked: 1330 times
Full Name: Luca Dell'Oca

Veeam Logoby simonpooley » Tue Jan 26, 2016 12:51 pm

Oh ok, so in HyperV a periodic backup of the shared VHDX is possible? That would be great. I'll see if we can do some lab testing.

Thanks
simonpooley
Novice

Veeam Logoby Vitaliy S. » Tue Jan 26, 2016 1:09 pm

Yes, that's possible. Please continue posting in this thread (Hyper-V subforum) if you have any other questions.
Vitaliy S.
Veeam Software

Veeam Logoby ChrisGundryCEGA » Mon Feb 01, 2016 8:45 am

@Vitaliy.
But surely when they 're-configure the machine' (you have not really elaborated on what you mean by that), the machine cannot be a cluster server anymore because it must have bus sharing turned off to perform snapshots. So this method isn't really a possibility is it?
ChrisGundryCEGA
Enthusiast

Veeam Logoby foggy » Mon Feb 01, 2016 10:59 am

Vitaliy meant any re-configuration that would allow taking a snapshot of the VM.
foggy
Veeam Software

Liked: 1079 times
Full Name: Alexander Fogelson

Backing up a Windows Failover Cluster with Shared Storage?

Veeam Logoby frederic.guyon » Tue Feb 02, 2016 8:37 am 1 person likes this post

I've read all the Forum about difficuties to saved a Windows Failover cluster on a 2 nodes active passive or more nodes active-active-passive !

And I saw that all have the same problem as me with that configuration mainly due to shared storage and special ISCSI controler define in VM. I have no solution but after my different tests I just whant to share my proposition the the Veeam B&R developer team.

Could the new release can process Windows cluster as a type of backup using Windows api like Windows update do the process to update cluster (Cluster AWARE Updating). Not necessary to transfert all roles on a node during the backup but probably a mixed solution with END POINT Backup and VEEAM B&R, but the END POINT Client should be remote controled by VEEAM Proxy.

VEEAM B&R is the probaly best solution actualy on the Market to Backup VM but surely the best one on restore VM instantly. I think the if VEEAM what to continue to be the BEST one it should integrate Cluster backup features, Those kind of Config will be present more and more and Veeam should do something on that.

Thank you for your feed back and sorry for my English, it's not my natural language!
frederic.guyon
Lurker

Full Name: frederic GUYON

[MERGED] Best practices VMware - windows cluster across boxe

Veeam Logoby k1ngb0ra » Mon Dec 12, 2016 12:04 pm

Hello community,

I would like to implement a sql-cluster deployment with cluster shared volumes which requires shared disk.
Is there any info/guideline how to implement a veeam-backup in this scenario because there is still the requirement for physical mode raw device mapping?
But physical mode does not support snapshots.
And virtual mode is only supported for cluster in a box (CIB).

any feedback would be greatly appreciated.
Tanks!
k1ngb0ra
Lurker

Full Name: Wallner Boris

PreviousNext

Return to VMware vSphere